Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Side-lying and crap latch + teeth = excruciating pain!

Default Side-lying and crap latch + teeth = excruciating pain!

My Lo is 8.5 month. We are ebf. He has been sleeping in his cot in another room but for the past month he has been wakeful at night so I moved him to sleep next to me, and just give him the boob whenever he starts to stir, when we are both not yet totally awake. However his latch is much more swallower when he is half asleep (and we are both lying down) and he has 2 upper incisors and 2 lower ones. This means he's clamping on my nipples! To make matters worse he unlatches himself without first breaking sucking and hence he scraps my nipple raw! Then rolls over and falls asleep! I don't want to scold him there and then in the middle of the night (I'm desperate for him to sleep). This doesn't happen in the day when i nurse him in the cradle hold position.
    I'm seriously considering night-weaning as my nipples feel like they're dropping off! I don't want to do cradle hold at night either as i'll be up all night! I'm so painful I'm in tears! Anyone has any suggestion for me? Thank you!

Default Re: Side-lying and crap latch + teeth = excruciating pain!

Is it gravity pulling him as he falls asleep to unlatch or actual pulling? I prop a pillow behind dd3 to keep her from backing away and then when she gets sleepy she unlatches rather than involuntarily losing the latch.e

No when we're both lying down he uses his hands to push against my chest to unlatch!

Does your baby do any longer (4 or 5 hours, say) stretch of sleep, ever? 5 hours would be considered sleeping through the night at this age, developmentally. If he does a longer stretch during the day, maybe you can swing that around to nights by nursing more during the day(?)

What about nursing in a laid back position with baby more on top at night? No, probably not as comfortable a sleep position for you as side lying, but it might be preferable to night weaning at this age, which I would suspect would lead to less sleep, as your babies wakefulness is possibly due to teething pain. It's also a little tricky to push any kind of weaning at this age as this is a prime time for nursing strikes.

If you do try positioning changes, I suggest try them during the day when you are awake and possibly more patient. Tired and in the dark is not typically a great time to learn new ‘tricks.’ Another idea would be to try side lying during the day and if he does the owie push off move, gently correct him with a calm (as possible) Ouch! No no! Or whatever.

If the wakefulness is due to teething, maybe addressing that with medicine or teething remedies if you are comfortable with those will help.

My oldest son went through a period of clamping down as he fell asleep, it was preteeth and it still hurt like no one's business. I would have to try to stay awake and watch for him to start to drift asleep and quickly unlatch him with the pinky twist prying motion.

@minigingerbread, mine also does that scraping thing when coming off sometimes, and sometimes clamps down too, while night nursing side lying ... so freakin painful! So I hear ya. Meg gave me this same advice when I posted about it:

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    My oldest son went through a period of clamping down as he fell asleep, it was preteeth and it still hurt like no one's business. I would have to try to stay awake and watch for him to start to drift asleep and quickly unlatch him with the pinky twist prying motion.
    So now I do that -- stay awake and watch him closer (or even if my eyes are closed, pay more attention to his sucking patterns), and pop him off before he drifts off and does the clamping or scraping action. I really have to get my pinky far back in between his jaws to have enough leverage to stop the clamp down, and I also try to sort of hook my finger around my nipple to protect it a little as he's coming off. The other thing that helps is going back to basics with the latch ... not letting him get a shallow latch on his own, but really facilitating a deep latch for him by doing the sandwhich or the flipple move, pulling him in closer by the upper back, etc. These things do take more attention and time, which detracts from your rest... but it beats getting all bitten up every night. Good luck

Strangely my lo only does the push off thing at night. He does sleep for a 5-hour stretch and then wakes up 1-2 hourly. Recently he wakes up every 20-30 minutes after that long stretch.
    Sigh I figured and agree it will be a bad time to night wean him now. As much as it is painful at night I still love that I can comfort him with my boobs. The stranger thing is, for the past 2 nights his latch has improved and I'm no longer in pain. Or maybe the nerves on my boobs have died lol!