Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11 mo old away from Mom all day

Default Re: 11 mo old away from Mom all day

I night-nursed both my kids until they turned 2. Why not? Easiest way to get a kid back to sleep! Ignore your friends and what they think they know about what babies "should" be doing at night. Some level of night-waking is normal until well into childhood, and what works for their family isn't necessarily right for your family. In my experience, a baby who always sleeps through the night is more unusual than one who doesn't. Even my formula-feeding friends' kid's wake up at night and need their mommies and daddies to comfort them!

You might want to ask your husband- gently and at a calm time of day- why he thinks you should wean. Maybe he's confused about he different recommendations for bottle-fed and breastfed children? Many people recommend that babies be weaned from the bottle at a year, though in my experience there are plenty of babies who continue getting a bottle after their first birthday. Bottle-feeding can be bad for a baby's teeth, particularly if bottles are given at night. But breastfeeding has no such drawbacks, which is why it doesn't matter if you nurse for one year or 5 years.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I nurse my 22 month old back to sleep every time she wakes up. Yep. And I have every time she has woken up since she was born. I did the same with her older sister. I'm not sure if/when I'll night-wean my 22 month old. Right now the path of least resistance is to keep nursing her whenever she wakes. I night-weaned my first at around 2 years when I was pregnant with my second.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

About the teeth thing - one thing I would add to what mommal said is that my pediatric dentist told us it was fine to night-nurse, but to brush their teeth right before bed so any food caught behind their teeth doesn't cause a problem.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

How did the day away go? or is it happening right now?

How long a mother nurses is between herself and her child and what friends or extended family have to say about it is not important. I agree with mommal, it is important to find out what is troubling dad. He may not understand the many benefits to everyone involved of nursing for a biologically normal length of time which basically means, measured in years, rather than months. I just asked my husband what he thought and he said “tell the dad that nursing past one and nursing at night means everyone gets more sleep. Especially the dad."