Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How much pee is enough?

Default How much pee is enough?

I know the target for diapers is at least 6 wets per day, but how wet do they need to be? I've read (on Kellymom?) that it's 4-6 tablespoons and I actually put that much water in a new diaper once so I could feel how wet it felt (it barely feels wet/heavy, by the way). But then I've heard other people say they need to have at least 6 soaking wet diapers...which is VERY different from how diapers with 6 tablespoons of fluid feel. So, for a 5 month old, which is it? I feel like my daughter's wet diapers are kind of borderline, which is why I'm asking...

Default Re: How much pee is enough?

Do you have any reason to think your baby is not getting enough? has weight gain been poor, baby been ill, baby not nursing much? Are you particularly concerned about dehydration or something or are you just used to counting diapers? I think the reason you may not get clear info on this for this age is that, by this age, most people are no longer counting diapers, so I wonder if there really is a recommendation for what baby needs to be making that is based on anything but a guestimate. Plus what constitutes soaking for a disposable is much more than for a cloth diaper, etc. I personally used disposables for my older kids and am cloth diapering now, and there is no way the disposables EVER felt anything near as wet as these prefolds can get. Unless girls pee more, the diaper type makes a huge difference. Just my opinion based on very limited family data!

How do fresh pees look, or smell like? Very dark or strong smelling pee is an indicator baby may be dehydrated.

More here:

http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ughmilk-older/

Thanks for your reply. Her urine is very clear and has little to no odor, so I'm bit particularly concerned about dehydration. Mostly, I'm just a nervous nelly. I have a lot of baggage from my older son's failure to thrive, so I had been weighing my daughter very often at home...but I'm pleased to say that I've stopped doing that! So, all I'm going on as far as weights are her bi-monthly checkups. It's in between checkups now and I'm getting antsy to make sure she's still getting enough. I feel like my breasts have felt softer overall, which I know should happen with my body regulating to her demand. But I'm also on domperidone (was planning to begin weaning from that soon), so I guess I expected to feel fuller as long as I'm on that...? Makes me nervous to begin weaning from it. Also, wondering about wet diapers as I begin weaning from Dom so I can make sure she's still getting enough. (Although I suppose I just need her diapers to stay consistent with what they are when she's gaining well.)

Clear urine with no odor is the exact OPPOSITE of what needs to be worried about. So don't particularly worry about that at all. So how many times a day are you changing wet diapers?

Way too lazy for formula

That was supposed to read "not particularly concerned" rather than "a bit". There's just a big difference between dehydrated and getting enough to grow well. I don't think she's dehydrated. I'm just trying to get a good idea of what good output is for this age, so I can put my mind at ease in between weigh-ins.

If I changed her diaper everytime it was wet enogh to turn the yellow stripe green, I'd probably change it 7-8 times a day. If I wait until it's heavier and more "soaked" it's more like 4-6 times a day.

so that’s enough-according to kellymom, right?
    but unfortunately, the latest thinking on weight gain (for newborns, anyway,) is that 'enough' poops usually = adequate weight gain but that wets don't tell much in that department. For this age, when infrequent stooling can be normal, when there is any question, I think the only way to really be sure all is well is the weight checks. I agree weighing baby too often makes for unneeded stress, but due to your history and supply concerns, having them a bit more often may be fine. is bi monthly every two weeks or every two months? If it's been a month, I see no reason to not get baby weighed if you are concerned, just make sure its done correctly on same scale and all that...
    also, you likely know that weight gain normally starts slowing between 4 and 6 months, and continues to gradually slow...