Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Shirt pulling, gah!

Default Shirt pulling, gah!

My nearly 23 month old DD is a rambunctious shirt-puller! He yanks my shirt, reaches down, and grabs my boob, and if I am not in a good position to nurse him right away, he throws a fit and just yanks harder. All my collars are getting totally stretched out, heh. I have tried various methods of breaking him of this habit, with no success, and I am curious if any mamas out there have been successful.

Thanks!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Default Re: Shirt pulling, gah!

Persistence and patience. "Don't grab mama's shirt, thank you!". "Mama doesn't like that!". Repeat ad infinitum.

Turtlenecks can cut down on shirt pulling. And it's the season for them...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At almost two I think you can make this a hard limit. Remember that at this point you are trying to work on setting limits and teaching your nursling that nursing is a RELATIONSHIP between the two of you. Nursing MANNER were DEFINITELY part of my goals between year 2&3. And I DID teach my son that he had to ask NICELY and that if he made me angry that made me feel like I did NOT want to nurse. And that if I didn't want to nurse, we mostly weren't going to.

Way too lazy for formula

i hit my limit with this at ~16 months and enforced signing to ask. hard limit, though the first few times when he was SO ridiculously upset i was very generous in what i interpreted as a sign. it only took about a day.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Thanks, mamas.... I really like the idea of teaching nursing "manners." Djsmom: what did you actually say to your son to teach the idea of "relationship?" Thanks!
    DS#1: Aidan, born 1/7/11 - 9 lbs. 5 oz. 22 in. (a difficult induced labor), BFed for 2.5 years after a VERY rocky start (indebted to LLL for the support)!
    DS#2: Amiel, born 12/11/13 - 9lbs, 22 in., 8 days "late," spontaneously, naturally & unmedicated after resisting pressure to induce.
    :

Things like "ask nicely." "Don't grab me please." "DON'T PULL ON MY CLOTHES PLEASE!" And I also was always working in the compromise. So a BIG part of the nursing manner thing for us was him learning to be willing to wait. So if I said "In 5 mintues." Or "I will meet you on the couch" or "in the bedroom when I am done when I am done with______" and his ability to walk away and either come back in 5 minutes OR walk over to the couch or Bed and wait for me was rewarded. Having a fit or melt down meant I wasn't going to do it. Because we BOTH needed to want to nurse for it to happen.

Way too lazy for formula