Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Brushing teeth

Default Brushing teeth

So for months now (6 months?), we have not been able to figure out how to brush our LO's teeth. She's about 12.5 months now. We have two of those toothbrushes she can chew on, and she used to love those, but she doesn't chew them more than a second or two now. She won't let me brush them for her. We have even tried one of us holding her on our lap while the other brushes, but she won't open her mouth and turns her head away. I try to get her to imitate my brushing, but, again, it's only for a few seconds and I doubt she's really making progress. The only thing I haven't tried are those finger-tip brushes, but I can't imagine she'll like that more, as she rarely lets me stick my finger in to check for more teeth. I've seen various things on these forums about the importance of brushing their teeth, but we're not getting anywhere. I get mad, because if I'm not home, my DH doesn't even try!

I love how my Dr. Sears book just shows parents with a kid lying on its back, calmly getting his or her teeth brushed. That's not how it's happening for us.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Default Re: Brushing teeth

Sorry. Brushing their teeth is NOT FUN. We actually didn't really start brushing Lilah's teeth consistantly until she was around 18 months to 2 years. In fact, I think we only brushed her teeth two to three times a week until she was 2 years old. We went to the ped dentist and he said to do it every day and try for twice a day. Then my DH started doing Lilah's teeth brushing every night. Trixie has been getting her teeth brushed all along because she sees Lilah doing it, so she doesn't fight it. We just tell them aaah, brush a few teeth. If they bite down, we say aah again, brush some more. See how easy that is? JUST KIDDING.

The dentist told us to put a clean finger in their mouth behind the last tooth that they have and they bite down on that with their gums. You can get to most of the teeth that way. He said that the most important place to brush was the back of the top and bottom front teeth because there were pockets there that food can get stuck in, which could lead to tooth decay. That worked with Trixie when she was younger. Lilah was old enough to understand and mostly comply (with complaints!) when we really started brushing her teeth.

It is not easy, that is for sure.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

at that age you can really just wipe the with a cloth.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

We tried the cloth, too -- like her mommy, Pooper is a strong-willed girl! She doesn't like us to show her anything by touching her hands, she doesn't like to have us stick things in her mouth (understandable, really) and she only goes to who she wants when she wants! It's funny, because the one word she loves saying is no, so as soon as I try to get close to her with my finger, she says "No!" in a sweet way. I figured I can only do what I can do, so like mommy2lilah, we're trying our best and hoping some stuff gets removed with her chewing on her toothbrush.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.