Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: What does a thrush tongue look like?

Default What does a thrush tongue look like?

My baby has a little bit of white on her tongue its not thick or curd looking...just looks like a normal tongue with a bit of white...my husband thinks it looks fine...thing is my breasts itch when I breastfeed her and I thought it might be thrush...but yet again it only itches when I feed her...and I was at the drs on friday and they didn't think my breasts looked like they had thrush...could thrush make my whole breast itch??? and what did your babys tongue look like when they had thrush? Thanks I am a super paranoid first mom.

Default Re: What does a thrush tongue look like?

First congrats on the BABY!!!!!!

My DS has trush (not FUN!!!!) and for him i noticed a litte bit of white patches on his tongue. he would continously stick his WHOLE TONGUE out and kind of scratch it against his gums. also I noticed that on my nipples I had some white spots(when wet or after a feeding) and then there was the sharp shooting pain after I nursed him

so when we went to the doc. he only had a little but enough to get meds for it. so now during treatment it still hurts on one side but were hanging in there. Hope this helps

For mine her tongue had a light white coating on it that would not come off. I was told the key is that it does not come off, like if you used a washcloth to wipe it off. It really looked like a normal tongue after a baby drinks milk. For me, I did not have the white spots on my nipples or the shooting pain, but it was still thrush.

DS and I have both had thrush. The tongue gets a coating of white that wont come off and if it's progressed the insides of the cheeks may even get white patches. If you have thrush you may or may not have white spots. Actually my nipples LOOKED normal...but they itched during feeding, at first...when I didn't get treatment, they began stinging/burning during feeding, almost like I had glass in them. The shooting pain that occurs after the feeding is an indication that the yeast has invaded the milk ducts. It's always wise to treat both Mom and baby for thrush,even if only one of you is showing symptoms. Rub baby's tongue gently with a wash cloth. If it remains white I would seek treatment for you both and be aggressive about it. I let it go for more then a week and it led to sore cracked nipples for me and the baby began feeding poorly when the coating on his tongue worsened. Thrush can also lead to a very fussy/gassy baby....good luck...I will pray for you that it is not thrush

I read that having a white tongue doesn't mean thrush...here is what it says on Dr. Sears website..."# Location – thrush is usually visible on the inside of the cheeks and lips, on the gums, and on the tongue. If present, it will usually spread to 3 or 4 of these places inside the mouth. A thin coating on the tongue only may simply be milk. However, a thick white coating on the tongue is probably thrush.
    # Does not come and go – thrush will usually hang around for weeks. Milk patches inside the cheeks and lips, on the other hand, will come and go with feedings. A milk coating on the tongue, however, can be more stubborn, often staying there for weeks as well. "

Does thrush hurt the baby? Just curious. Or does it hurt the mother? My boy sometiems has white on his tongue - and i have a hard time getting in there even TRYING to wipe it off. But he chews on his tongue sometimes and i wonder if thisis a sign of thrus?

I was told that the thrush rarely hurts the baby. I would think that the baby would show other signs of being hurt (such as crying) if really hurt. Maybe tongue chewing is just a teething thing, or something like that.

If you do have thrush, eventually it will cause some pain for you, and then you'll know. My pain went from mild sore nipples to can't-stand-this-anymore-can't-nurse-ever-again feelings of pain. And then back again, and everything in between.

When we had thrush the last time, my DS had it on the insides of his lips and that did hurt him. I think just latching was painful. Also, I think in some LO's it gives them gas because of the yeast/sugar in yeast. That, too, can be painful.

Here's a link with some pictures of thrush if that helps...

Thrush

Reesa