Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of weaning... Help!!

Default Thinking of weaning... Help!!

Hi. In a week I will have been breastfeeding my dd for 30 months. In the past month or two I have been feeling alot of discomfort and irritation with her nursing.. So much to the point where I'm thinking about weaning. I know weaning will take awhile and I'm thinking about trying to be done when she is 3 or at least down to only one feeding. She isn't biting but she does have all her teeth and I DO have teeth marks on my nipples. What I don't understand is why my nipples seem to feel so irritated when she nurses lately... It hurts and just feels irritating.. I don't know what to do... I have her unlatch all the time and that doesn't really help and new positions don't do anything.. She loves her "NUMMIES" and my Hubby likes me nursing her also. Today he said "Nursing her is sooo good for her and I thought you wanted to nurse her till she's 5-6".. I said I cant cause of the discomfort and just feel like I want nothing and nobody touching my nipples... Then I feel bad cause I want whats best for my toddler... Ugh... I just need some advise from some other mommies. Thanks!!
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

Default Re: Thinking of weaning... Help!!

Is there any chance you could be pregnant? It's very common to get feelings of nipple irritation and just general 'icky' feeling when nursing in the early months of pregnancy.

It also could be the teeth bothering you. Maybe your little lady is letting her latch get lazy or something? Have you tried different positions? I know- par for the course when nursing a toddler, but if you could try tilting her head back or to one side or the other it could possibly relieve some of the pressure from the teeth.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Have you ruled out thrush for the pain?
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

Good possibilities posted above. I just want to add that a lot of moms- including me- get an irritated, "icky" feeling when nursing their older toddlers. I think it's in part that older kids often become sloppy about their latch and lazy suckers, and in part that there's an innate "just get off me" feeling that some mamas get about being in such close and intimate proximity with an older baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the replies. I am not pregnant. Just got done with my period and I dont think it is Thrush cause my nipples are normal looking and feel normal until I nurse. @Mommal I think it must be what you said sloppy latch etc. Its nice to know other ppl get that weird kinda icky feeling and the get off feeling... ha ha.. Thanks!
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

P.S. How often do you guys nurse a toddler over the age of 2. My LO is almost 2 1/2 ( a week from today)... Just wondering what is a normal amount for nursing a toddler. My babe nurses usually three times a day.. When she wakes up ,before naptime and before bedtime.. I'm trying to cut out the naptime nursing... Thanks for everyones help!!! :-)
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

My LO is 2 years, 7 months, and nurses 3-5 times a day. Wake-up, nap-time, bedtime, and sometimes a couple more times a day if she is feeling insecure (like if we're at the doctor's office or something).

A lot of kids give up their afternoon nap around 2.5-3 years. If you think your LO is close to phasing out her nap, you might not have to actively wean from that session. It might vanish all on its own.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I want to say there is some room between nursing her until 3 or nursing her until 5 or 6. Does your child have language? Because IMO the most important piece of a smooth weaning is having the child ON BOARD and feeling like you are making this decision TOGETHER. So IF you are planning on weaning, I would begin by asking your child how much longer SHE thinks she is going to want to nurse. And if her answer is WAY off where your answer is....then work together to a compromise place and talk about WHY it's going to be a good idea to wean and also how you will CELEBRATE her independence when you do.

Way too lazy for formula

It's nice to know that other moms are still nursing as much or more as me with a 2 1/2 year old toddler. I don't think my LO wants me to wean her even at nap time. She asks for her Nummies when she wakes up and before bed and before her naptime. So I may have to wait till she quits taking naps and then like Mommal said that nursing session will probably just go away. Cause last week we went to Madison for Thanksgiving and twice she skipped the afternoon nursing because we were traveling... Thanks again for everyones advise on this subject!!
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

I nursed my son until he was 4.5 years old. It was a much more gradual thing than people understand. Because SO MANY people cut their kids off when they hit the year mark that they don't realize how gradual it can be if you let it play out the way it naturally does. When you look back at 1-2 vs the last 6months, 2-2.5 does the last 6months not seem DRAMATICALLY different to you in terms of the limits you have been able to set? Vs. the 2nd year? (Since you are in your third year now?)

Way too lazy for formula