Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: dry diapers

Default dry diapers

My 12 month old baby has had several pretty dry diapers the past few days. Twice yesterday my husband changed him and said, "this diaper is dry." Once was after about 2 hours and the other 3 hours.

He is still nursing, but probably a bit less than he was a month ago. And, he eats 3 meals + snacks/day (not sure if what he eats is considered a lot/meal or not--would be very interested, as well, to hear what people think is a little/average/large quantity of food per meal/snack). He is not nursing very much at night anymore--to bed, then once between 2-4am and then usually around 5 and then as he wakes up around 6:30-7:15am.

We haven't had him weighed in ages but he is ACTIVE, very healthy and outgrows his clothes every few months.

So, is the periodic dry diaper normal? At what point would we worry about it?

Default Re: dry diapers

He may be starting to hold his pee longer. I would put the dry diaper back on and pay attention when he does go if it is a lot of pee.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

i have a really hard time telling when he pees. he doesn't seem to have any signs and he doesn't fuss when the diaper is wet. he does give some signs when he poos (sometimes) but again doesn't fuss with a poopy butt. so we often just have to check a lot and are just really frequent with changes. we use cloth diapers, so i find his whole nonchalance about it unexpected--i thought cd babies were more likely to show signs of discomfort.

what would be considered "a lot" of pee?

We do EC with our daughter and she sometimes holds pee 4 hours. She is 13 mo and nurses all.the.time (more than once per hour if with me). "alot" of pee for us would be a couple cm of pee in the potty...or a totally soaked cloth diaper I guess. She Holds her pee up to 10 h at night while sleeping.

Interesting. I've always had a hard time with "how wet is wet enough." LO's diapers are NEVER soaked, except for overnight and the first one of the morning. Maybe he isn't a very heavy wetter? Maybe our diapers are really absorbent? I don't know. I guess as long as the dry diaper n isn't a problem sign, then that's what I really need to know. And, sounds like I should probably need to get used to the concept of dry diapers...it would only make sense that you would get dry ones as they move towards the idea of using the toilet.

I'm really curious, pteroglossus, what kinds of signs does your LO give that she is about to pee? I let DS play naked a lot and even though I watch him pretty closely and then even see him pee (on the floor!) I cannot figure out what the signs are. I'm sure they are different for different kids, but just would love to hear your experience.

The signs change....when younger she'd latch on and off the boob when needed to pee or poo. if on my lap or in carrier she'd struggle to get down. Now she will still do those things, but spends a lot of time running around so harder to tell when she needs to go. Always pees on waking from nap or night. When sleeping if she really needs to go she'll thrash around and refuse to nurse back to sleep. very hard to tell when playing on floor (she gets quiet and looks down but by then it's too late) so we just offer potty after each sleep, nurse, or 1-2 hr. She still pees in her pants quite a bit when busy. But she knows how to use the potty and has her own hand sign for pee/poo/fart, but rarely uses it to communicate a need to potty....usually just to say she is peeing or mommy is peeing. If you want to try to catch a pee in the potty, I think a great time to try is after a nap when diaper is dry... or any diaper change when diaper is dry really.