Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thinking of weaning... Help!!

Default Re: Thinking of weaning... Help!!

@djs.mom, You are right I do see how it has changed over the past 6 months... When she was 24 months it seemed I nursed alot more than now which is almost 30 months (on Friday). I know it seems alot of ppl just stop at 12 months and I never wanted to do that and glad I haven't... When I was nursing her tonight I was feeling kinda bummed again cause it was hurting again... I try to tell myself to not think about it because I think the more I sit there and think about the pain it makes it worse and I want to stop.. It's not unbearable, but I don't like it.. I have her re-latch all the time and change positions etc.. Doesn't seem to help alot, but I did notice tonight that after a couple minutes it seemed to get better some... Maybe she wasn't sucking as hard??? How often would you say you were nursing your LO only at bedtime (like do you remember what age this started at)? Cause I'm still nursing my DD 3 times a day and have started thinking about just weaning her from the nap time nursing... Just mulling it over.. I know it will take time... Thanks for all your replies.
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10

I did it the other way. Night weaning 1st. Because we wanted to him to STTN. So we made it so that 1st I would nurse him down and leave the room and he would sleep all night with my Husband. And if he woke and wanted to nurse he'd simply get up and come find me. Which he did for a while. Between 2.9 years and about 3.5 I think. And then between 3.5&4 I was working to be DONE by 4. So at that point we were talking about it as a family and he was actively involved and so then we decided he was big enough to go to bed without it. So when that started happening then we started going whole days without it. Because since our wake up sessions were the last one to go, he would only nurse on the mornings that he didn't have preschool and he went to school on Monday, Wed and Fri. And on those morning we had to wake him up to get him ready and there was no time to nurse. So on my days off we would sometimes still nurse up and down if we napped together. But on Wed and Some Fri he would get picked up by someone else because I worked. And by the time I'd get him home he was asleep so those would be He'd Nurse Thurs Morning,(No school) and then not again until Sat morning. Because that was how our schedule pounded it out. And then I found as the time loomed when we were supposed to be done that it was too much pressure and he wasn't really ready and so I let go of the idea that it HAD to happen and then between 4 & 4.5 he started not always coming out in the morning so it would be sometimes be MORE than 2 or 3 days. I am going to bump something I wrote while this was going on for you. I think it's called "Before I forget" anyway we agree that he had to go 2 weeks before we would call him officially weaned. And he did that right after 4.5 and nursed another 3 or 4 times before his weaning party which was 2 months later in August.

Way too lazy for formula

just wanted to add that i was tense and terribly uncomfortable while my 21 month old was nursing about two months ago. those feelings lasted for about a month, and nights were the worst. i really think it was just the way he was sucking. he was sucking so hard!

it did change and now i really and loving nursing again. maybe he was teething or growing or emotionally more needy. i dont know but it has passed.

after tough nights i would put lanolin on my nipples and it really did help.

Thank you for everyones thoughts and advice! Its greatly appreciated! Merry Christmas everyone! :-)
    Mommy to Savannah Joy
    6-7-10