Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: HELP 10 Month old is refusing to nurse

Default HELP 10 Month old is refusing to nurse

Hello everyone!! I have a 10 month old son who is refusing to nurse during the day. For the past 3 months or so he has completely stopped nursing on the left side, only nursing on the right. Here lately he has been refusing to nurse on the right. We went to his 9 month appointment, and he hadn't gained much weight from his 6 month appointment; he only weighed 17.8 lbs at 9 months.
    I saw that he hadn't gained much weight, so I now give him bottles of pumped milk when he refuses to nurse for a full feeding. I hate that he is refusing the right side now. He only like to nurse if its the middle of the night, or he just woke up from a nap. He won't nurse before his naps anymore.
    Does anyone know if there is anything I can do? I have noticed an increase in his weight now that I have been giving him bottles.
    We feed him baby food, and have been trying to start finger foods. He ends up wearing 9% of the fresh fruits and veggies we give him. Any Ideas on when he will learn to SWALLOW his food rather than gum it and spit it out? He is like a little chipmunk, he crams as much in as he can, and then spits it all out. Hahaha

Thanks LAdies!!
    Mama to Nathan Ryan Meehan

8lbs 5oz at birth

Born naturally after 4 hours of labor
    Exclusively for 7 months!!! Been stuck to the for almost 5 months!

Default Re: HELP 10 Month old is refusing to nurse

Bump!! )

8lbs 5oz at birth

How often does he nurse at night? I'm afraid the bottles might make it worse. There is a Medela Calma bottle and nipple system that makes them drink from the bottle more like they nurse. He could be developing a flow preference for the artificial nipple. The Calma might help with that. Also, your caregiver might just be letting him have the bottle to throw back really fast. There's a pdf on this website to give to your care provider on how to bottle feed a breastfed baby. My LO had several hard months of refusing altogether, and then off and on. I had to nurse her walking around, laying down, white noise going, in a dimly lit room, in her sleep, etc. If you think you can, you might try to squeeze in another nursing at night. Do you have one side that has more milk usually? Or a faster flow? Is that the one he prefers now? When does he refuse? Immediately? I used to have to express to letdown or near letdown to get my LO to latch and actually stay on. She needed that instant reward for latching. Now, I don't if she's not too distracted. If you can, lay around and play topless, or wear him topless so that he can access it and just be reminded how much fun nursing is. You can be silly with your breasts. I used to tap my nipple on my LO's nose and sing or make silly noises. Just don't put too much pressure on him, but keep offering.

Kellymom has a good page called "my baby won't nurse", I think. I have read and re-read that page about 100 times. no joke!! There are some good ideas on there. I've tried ALL.OF.THEM. hang in there, breast refusal is so exhausting!!

My 9.5 month old and I are having a very similar problem. She too, gained very little weight between 6 and 8 months, at which point I took her to the doc. She does nurse during the day, but never for long enough to even get the milk to let down. Like your son, she nurses well first thing in the morning, in the middle of the night and after naps. I struggle with it constantly. Will he not latch at all when you try or will he just latch for a moment? What I have taken to doing is nursing her in the dark before naps and just trying and trying and trying until she latches and if she still wont, I do what midwesternmama said and hand express a bit and put her back on. This has worked pretty well. I also find that if I stand up and nurse her and rock from side to side, she tends to nurse longer. My pedi recommended feeding higher calorie foods to help make up the difference. My daughter refuses purees (just to make things more complicated!) but I give her lots of chicken, cheese and veggies smeared in chunks of coconut oil which she LOVES. Might be worth a try to take the edge off your weight concerns. Are you worried about your supply at all? I definitely think that my supply is less than my daughter wants and so I end up giving her a bottle once a day, but only at night and only if she clearly isn't getting enough to sleep. My daughter nurses SO much better if I am wearing a sweater with buttons, so maybe try something like that? She is one of those "too busy to nurse kids" and if your son is like that, giving him a distraction on you might help a lot!

I think you have gotten some great tips above. here are a few thoughts-

Weight gain typically slows quite a bit after 6 months, particularly with breastfed babies. Was your baby's doctor concerned? Did the doctor say you needed to increase his weight gain, intake of milk, foods, anything? How much did baby gain between 6 and 9 months? Was gain ever a concern prior to 6 months? Is baby healthy and hitting milestones? Particularly active, crawling, etc? What about other growth measures-height and head? Normal?

At this point, is your baby refusing to nurse at all? Or just one side, or will baby still nurse on both, but only at night? I am a little confused on that point.

It does not matter much when baby nurses, from a milk intake perspective. What matters is how often overall and how efficient baby is at the breast. Some babies are entirely capable of getting enough breast milk from one breast. But I would agree that for your own comfort, milk production, etc, encouraging baby to nurse more overall and on both sides could be helpful. The “help my baby won’t nurse” kellymom article suggested above has lots of great ideas.

Breastmilk has more calories than virtually all foods that are typically given to babies. Kellymom has an article about that as well. So, from a weight gain standpoint, it might make sense to keep working on getting more milk into baby, not more baby food. If the food is getting everywhere but in your baby, your baby may not be developmentally ready to eat this way.

I agree that bottles may be the cause of more breast refusal.

Paced bottle feeding is a bottle feeding technique that is designed (in part) to help specifically with flow confusion, and can be used with any bottle or nipple, in fact, I think plain old slow flow nipples may work better, because with paced bottle feeding, you want to be able to avoid having to tip the bottle way up for baby to get the milk, which (I have heard) can happen with some bottle feeding systems.

more info:

Bottle feeding breastfed baby http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfedbaby.pdf

Help, my baby won’t nurse http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Calorie and fat content of various baby foods http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...yfoodcalories/

Calories and fat content of various milks http://kellymom.com/nutrition/milk/milkcalories/

How do we get started on solids http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/solids-how/

Thanks ladies!! My son is one of the "too busy to nurse" types also. He will NOT touch the left side at all, hasn't for months. As far a latching on the right, I try during the day, and even express some to get it going, but he skirms and skirms until he is back to crawling around. I have to pump now during the day (about 4 times), and before I go to bed. I HATE pumping, it's starting to get soooo old, but I'll do whatever to keep him getting breastmilk. I have over 600oz. frozen, so no... my supply def. is NOT a concern, LOL. I just wish he would have nursed longer!! I miss that!!
    At his 9 month appointment, the doctor DID seem concerned about him not gaining weight, he did bloodwork.. everything came back great. Since we went to the doctor, I have began feeding him bottles of breastmilk throughout the day.

8lbs 5oz at birth

I have found that if I hold my daughter very gently but firmly (so that she can't squirm out of my grasp!) she will eventually settle and nurse. It takes a lot longer than I was previously willing to wait, sometimes 15-20 minutes just to get her to calm down enough to nurse at all, but I think its worth it. Its great that you have so much milk stored, I literally have 2 ounces of breastmilk in the freezer! Still, if you want to keep him at the breast, I think some serious patients will get you there. Do you have walk in closet? Could you try nursing in it? I know that sounds crazy, but he probably associates most places in the house with play and if you can get him in a place that isn't too exciting and also isn't a play spot, maybe he will nurse! Even though my daughter still squirms through (and out of) many feedings per day, she does settle down and nurse a few times now, often I stand up and sit many times during the process of getting her to nurse!