Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk guzzling 9 week old and can't keep up!!

Post Milk guzzling 9 week old and can't keep up!!

My son is 9 weeks old and I just returned to work last Tuesday... When I was at home, I was EBF. But literally in the last week, he eats every 3 hours (which is the schedule he's been on since birth) and has increased from eating about 3-4 ounces at a time to 5-7 ounces at a time.
    I am having a VERY hard time keeping up with his increase in appetite! While I am at work, I am lucky to get 2-3 ounces every time I pump. And I was pumping on the same schedule as he would be eating. He's deminished my "reserve" in the freezer down to what I get from the day before so while he's at daycare he gets a mixture between formula and breastmilk. I have been trying to pump every 1 1/2-2 hours but it's not really helping much. It seems that if I do that while I am at work, I'll get slightly more but then come time for the weekends and he doesn't nurse or I am not at my pump every 1-2 hours, the next week at work, my supply is right back down again...
    I may be down, but I am not out so any tips and/or helpful info would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you!!

Default Re: Milk guzzling 9 week old and can't keep up!!

They are feeding him too much!!! Why are they giving him 5-7 ounces at a time? So he might be getting 21 ounces a DAY while you are away from him?

Are you nursing at night? Bottles on the weekends at all?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I have been pumping and giving him a bottle when I am at home... But yesterday started nursing him when we were together. He is sleeping through the night... We put him to bed around 9:30 and is usually awake by 5-5:30. If he wakes up at night I'll nurse him then too.
    I know that 5-7 ounces is a lot... But if he doesn't eat that, he'll literally scream until he's either put back up to my breast or is fed more in a bottle... I just don't know what to do.
    For instance, I sent him two 5 ounces bottles to daycare today. I only work across the street from his daycare so on my lunch break, I go over and nurse him... The ladies at daycare had already given him his second 5 ounce bottle (which was to be saved for his 3:00 feeding instead of waiting on me to get there) and I still had to nurse him more. He didn't nurse long but for maybe 3-5 minutes...
    On the weekends we stay on the same schedule...

The rule of thumb is 1 to 1.5 ounces of milk per hour. So if you're pumping every three hours and getting out 3 ounces, that's about right. But if he's being given 10 ounces in 3-4 hours (I'm basing this on the statement that he's getting two 5 oz bottles between drop-ff and lunch) that's WAY TOO MUCH. No surprise he barely wanted to nurse by the time you got there! There are other ways of soothing a baby besides the bottle! I mean, come on!

Here are some links that you may want to share with your DCP about bottle-feeding a breast-fed baby:
    http://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/a...breastfed-baby
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/f...ottle-feeding/

4 oz is the max a breastfed baby should typically get (and 2-3 oz every 3 hours is what your baby probably should be getting, if that's what you're pumping). But, if babies are offered more, they will often drink it, so the caregiver needs to pay attention. One way to do this is to leave smaller bottles - ie, leave a 2-3 oz bottles, with a 1 oz "topper" if needed. Some moms will leave the 1 oz "topper" as a frozen bag of milk so that the DCP has to go through the trouble of thawing it - just add that extra barrier to overfeeding - by then baby may have moved on to something else!

In terms of increasing your overall supply, I think you are doing the right thing by nursing rather than pumping at home, as nursing is usually a better milk-stimulator that pumping is. You may also want to do a dream feed (ie, feeding him in his sleep) during the night, especially since he's going a long stretch at night. You might want to consider co-sleeping so that if baby does start to stir in his sleep, you're right there ready to offer the breast. And/or an extra pumping session at night, or on the drive in or home from work if you have a commute (pumping under a nursing cover).
    Last edited by @llli*bfwmomof3; November 29th, 2012 at 01:44 PM.

I would start waking him up to nurse in the middle of the night, or pump at that time. Also, it is normal for babies to want to nurse - even if they are not hungry, it's called comfort nursing.

So, you were exclusively pumping before and now you're nursing when you are home with him?

ETA: Schedules are not good for breastfeeding. It is one thing to follow a pattern, or routine, but a 9 week old baby is still a newborn and still needs to nurse 8 to 10 times in a 24 hour period.
    Tracie

Mommy to

You said that he eats every three hours, but that he sleeps from 9:30 pm until 5:30 am? So he's only getting 5 or 6 feedings in a 24 hour period?
    Tracie

Mommy to