Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: latch issues

Default latch issues

I'm trying to figure out why my 3 month old LO still won't latch properly. Or more accurately, why she won't stay latched. I can get her on just fine, but over the course of the session, she clicks, loses suction, slips lower off the nipple. We're just getting over thrush (took a long time to diagnose, then to find a treatment that worked). For the most part, actually nursing her doesn't hurt anymore, which is great, but I do still hurt between feeds. Her latch has improved some since the thrush is gone. She did have an upper lip tie and a ptt which were released at 9 weeks old, unfortunately the ptt seems to have reattached despite my best efforts. Getting it cut again is not an option.

I've been reading about OALD and how that might cause her to come off the nipple. I don't have all the symptoms though - I usually only feel fuller in the morning, but nowhere near engorged. If she comes off completely, I do have some spray, but again, only in the morning. She's gained weight like a champ (she's almost 18 lbs, her lowest weight was 7lbs 4oz.) and has tons of output. I've pretty much only ever had to feed her from 1 breast at a feeding. Is it possible that she just has too strong of a suck and it's causing the milk to come out too fast, but only while she's actively sucking? How can I get her to stay on the breast?

Sorry this is so long. I just feel like we've overcome a lot of challenges so far, and we're so close to having a pain-free time of it all. I'm open to any and all suggestions!

Default Re: latch issues

You can have a fast letdown without having oversupply... Usually the best clue is when baby pulls off during the feeding. If it's a couple of minutes into the feeding once the milk starts flowing, but then she does okay when you latch her on again, it could be OALD.

If she's having trouble staying on all through the feeding, it might be something else. But I would think that if she really couldn't stay latched properly, she wouldn't be gaining so well.

Have you tried nursing in a semi-reclined position with your baby on top? Some babies stay latched on better in that position because they're not working against gravity.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Default Re: latch issues

I have tried laid-back nursing. At first she found it really hard to breathe at the same time, and now she just has too much head and neck control to stay latched on, even that way. I do nurse her while leaning back into the couch with her slightly on top of me in a cross-cradle position. I've spoken with a couple LLL leaders since I posted this - it seems like it might be an issue related to the tongue tie. They both suggested body work, which is something my husband is adamantly against (he says it's a pseudoscience, doesn't think that anecdotal evidence is worth anything, etc). So I'm just trying to massage her jaws to help her relax a little, hoping that maybe a tense jaw is part of the problem. If it weren't for the painful vasospasms that I get between feedings, I could deal with my nipples being a little misshapen, since she's clearly not starving and it's not particularly sore while nursing anymore. One of the leaders said it's not normal for babies to have a super strong suck like LO does, and that's possibly related to the jaw tension. I should mention too that though it's not actually painful while she's actively sucking, I do get uncomfortable as she slows down and is comfort sucking.