Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!! 9 month refuse bottle but want to latch all the time!

Default Help!! 9 month refuse bottle but want to latch all the time!

We took 9 month son for a 4 day holiday 2 weeks ago, during which he had semi solids and milk directly from me ( no bottles). He was drinking fine (bm from bottle) last week.

Yesterday and today, he refused the bottle for all feeds but happy with his semi solids. Tried a larger teet, sippy cup, spooning - nothing works unless we add cereal to milk or he latches directly (something he loves!)

How do I get him back on bottle? I am a working mom and he goes to infant care.

Not sure if it's related to him cutting 1st tooth 2 weeks ago!

Default Re: Help!! 9 month refuse bottle but want to latch all the t

A lot of breastfed babies will never accept a bottle from mom. So if you're trying to get him to accept one when you are with him, I think you shouldn't bother. Just let him nurse.

Is he back at infant care yet? If not, he may be willing to take the bottle once he's back there and back in the routine. You won't be there, so he'll be more willing to accept substitutes for the breast.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi hi, he has been at infant care since 3.5months and never had a problem with the bottle. I've only nursed him at nights and sometimes in the morning (if I have time before work), else it's bm in the bottle.

These 2 days, he's refusing the bottle at infant care - tried thawed milk / freshly pumped milk using bigger teet, spoon, sippy cup and he pushes everything away and cries. But he's loves his semi-solids.

Sounds like you have tried everything that typically helps.

Is there a new caregiver at the day care? A new schedule, bottle protocol, something else going on there that is new or possibly stressful? That's the next place I would look.

How long is baby at daycare each day? If he nurses frequently when with you and will eat solids during the day, maybe that would be ok, at least temporarily. Can they mix your breastmilk with whatever he is given to eat at daycare?

It could be teeth, it could be just developmental. A nine month old is way more aware and distractible and that can cause all sorts of issues. Some babies start suddenly refusing the breast at this age, that is called a nursing strike and is usually temporary. Maybe your baby went the other way, which is actually healthier if you think about it but, I understand, frustrating for everyone involved. I wonder if your baby's caregivers could try some of the ideas for nursing strikes to help wiht a 'bottle strike."

Everything's and everyone's status quo ... Except for our 1st trip away which he latched directly with no bottles. On normal weekends when I am home, he latches and doesnt use bottles too - no problem with going back to bottle come weekday.

He's been at infant care for 6 months, spending at least 8 - 10 hours each day.

Initially, I thought he didnt like his milk anymore but he drinks heaps when latched on.

Praying this is temporal

Thanks for advice!!

Well I really doubt a four day trip caused bottle refusal. it just does not make sense, since he has been breast and bottle 'combo' feeding all this time with no trouble, and also the problem did not arise for over a week post trip. I would not blame your little vacation, which I am sure you all really needed!

We've the answer!!! All's good after his 2nd tooth grew a little.

My boy's drinking from the bottle again ... Hooray!!

Thanks for the replies n encouragement

Glad to hear things are back to normal.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous