Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Solids and Pumping for daycare and slow weight gain (maybe)

Default Solids and Pumping for daycare and slow weight gain (maybe)

My son is 8 months old. He's 15lbs even currently. He has gained 3oz in the past 20 days. He's peeing and pooing good.

We are doing baby-led solids. We tried purees at 6months, and he refused the spoon. So we decided to let him self feed shortly after. He does very well with solids, in my opinion. It's a little tricky to measure the food he eats, but he eats 2 meals and a snack every day.

He nurses (or is fed expressed breastmilk) 6-8 times in a 24 hour period. He's distracted during day and evening feedings, but nurses well through the night (1-2 times) and in the morning. He is away from me for 9 hours, 3 days a week and is fed three bottles of about 3.5oz milk. He drinks those pretty well - occasionally leaves 1oz total between all three bottles he takes.

It's becoming increasingly hard to pump to meet his needs. I am getting fed up with pumping (today, for example, I nursed him at 8am - then at 10:30 I pumped 2oz, at 1:00 I pumped 1.5oz and at 4:00 I got 2.5oz. I am 4.5oz short, but I can also pump at night after my LO goes to bed and get another 1-2oz.

Lots of times I will only get a few drops if I pump in the evening (because he wakes up too soon or not enough time has passed). I eat oatmeal every day. I pump with a double electric Ameda Purely Yours. I am the only owner and have been pumping for 7 months. If I make his bottles smaller at daycare, will he up his solids and eat more when we are together? Is this a terrible idea? My freezer stash is running very low...and I'm not really sure what is appropriate.

I obviously don't want to starve my kid - he doesn't act hungry, he isn't fussy at the breast, he's very healthy and meeting all his milestones, just little. At his last doctors appointment he was in the 4th percentile and the doctor was not one bit concerned, I believe he is barely "off the charts" currently. Our next wellness visit isn't until he is 12 months old. Recent weigh ins were both done on my wii fit scale - completely naked.

I'd love to be able to pump less, but if I decide to do that, will I have to introduce formula?

Default Re: Solids and Pumping for daycare and slow weight gain (may

Welcome to the forum!

I suspect that a big part of the problem you're having with pumping is your machine. The Purely Yours is a lightweight pump, and with heavy and prolonged use like you've been giving it, it's going to wear down. I'd consider a temporary upgrade to a hospital-grade rental pump, or maybe consider purchasing a new, upgraded pump like a Medela Pump in Style, particularly if you're thinking of having more kids and think you'd get more use out of the machine.

If you decide to cut back on pumping- and it must be sooooo tempting!!!- then yes, introducing some formula is probably going to be part of the picture for you. Until a year, breastmilk or formula are supposed to make up the majority of the baby's nutritional intake, because breastmilk or formula have everything a baby needs for healthy development. It's much harder to achieve a healthy nutritional balance using solids. So until around the first birthday, you don't want to substitute solids for breastmilk or formula. You only want to use solids to complement baby's intake of breastmilk or formula.

I think a better pump and maybe some additional pumping sessions are going to get you back on track. And I do think it's worth doing- you're so close to a year! One more thing you could try would be adding in more nursing sessions- difficult with a busy, distracted older baby, I know, but also very good for supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for your quick response!

I definitely think it's worth the hassle to keep pumping for him, especially since he is so little. It's such a stressful process when you are not getting enough milk and dipping into your freezer supply.

I actually re-read my post and found an error. I am away from my boy 4 days a week (I had previously stated 3. He goes to daycare 3 days, but the 4th day my husband is home with him). Yesterday I had the entire day with him and he took a four hour nap in the morning. I was able to pump a little extra during his nap and then again at night after he had gone to bed.

For a long long time, I was able to leave my pump at work and only pump at work. I got really spoiled.

A few months ago, I was very sick and couldn't keep anything down. I ended up dehydrated and it effected my supply pretty bad. To help regain my supply, I took fenugreek and blessed thistle and it helped tremendously. I was able to build back my freezer stash that had been depleted and then I stopped taking the pills about 10 days later.

I'm trying to add them again and hopefully get that little boost to help my confidence again! I'd like him to keep having breast milk at daycare until he's at least 14 months....and continue nursing when we're together for longer.

Sounds like a good plan, mama. Try the fenugreek and blessed thistle, and stay open to doing some more work with the pump.

I think a lot of moms find that it's easy to get enough milk during their first few months back at work. But as they get into the second half of the first year, a lot of moms hit a slump. It often happens right around 8-10 months. So you're not alone in facing this particular hurdle!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"