Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Happy spit up/ over feeding vs true reflux

Default Happy spit up/ over feeding vs true reflux

My daughter is now 1 month old and is exclusively breastfed. She has been spitting up for the past two weeks or so and it's just getting worse and worse. I'm changing her outfits 3-4 times a day plus bibs that gets dirty in between changing. It's getting to the point that Im having to shower 2-3 times a day. Her spitting up is getting so bad that it's getting pretty forceful when comin out.
    She doesn't seem to be in much distress but does fuss for a period of time before/after spitting up.

She is gaining weight wonderfully, was 7lbs 1oz at birth and after dropping to 6lbs 12oz at a couple days, she is now 9lbs 13oz at 1 month. I've had to deal with over supply and forceful letdown and a bad latch and we are working on it. I'm already on a dairy free, soy free, nut free diet.

I don't know if to consult the gastro and seek her opinion or if I'm just overreacting and if it just looks worse than what it actually is.

My oldest daughter had bad reflux and it was hell for the first 5 months, I stopped breastfeeding put her on a combo of meds. I really don't want to do this my little one my goal is to not give her any formula at all.

Please help, I'm open to any kind of input!
    Thanks so much!

Default Re: Happy spit up/ over feeding vs true reflux

At this point it just sounds like a laundry problem. I definitely wouldn't stop feeding her over it OR worry about it if she is not in distress.

Way too lazy for formula

Gaining weight well and not screaming in pain before/after spitting? Sounds like a laundry problem. Lots of spitting is common with babies whose moms have oversupply- every time baby eats, her tummy gets filled to the brim, and that makes it easier for some of those stomach contents to travel back up.

If your first baby had such bad reflux that she needed medication, then I can understand why you're a little gun-shy when it comes to having the same experience with your current baby. But a "happy spitter" who is gaining weight well is nothing to worry about, I promise!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lots of spitting is common with babies whose moms have oversupply- every time baby eats, her tummy gets filled to the brim, and that makes it easier for some of those stomach contents to travel back up.

I carry lots of burp rags. big ones. non-'prefolded' cotton diapers-(the big thin ones, not the small thick ones) work great. I have about 50. I have gotten so fast with them I am usually able to mostly save my baby's outfit and mine. She always seems to get my husband, usually after he is dressed in his suit for work.
    I had overproduction with all my kids, my oldest also did have painful reflux and was on meds for a while. I don't know what was happening with your older child, but the current thinking on painful reflux is it is far healthier for the baby to be breastfeeding, and to take meds if needed. So even if your baby does develop painful reflux, that is not a reason to stop nursing.

things that seem to help both ffld and reflux-
    holding baby upright after nursing
    nursing frequently
    nursing in a reclined position with baby draped on top of you rather than curled up in a cradle hold.-or nursing sitting up but with baby more upright, head above tummy.
    avoiding car seat or swing right after nursing.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ellie-2388 View Post
    Her spitting up is getting so bad that it's getting pretty forceful when comin out.
    How forceful? Does she wretch or gag? Does it happen while she's eating?
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos