Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to teach baby to drink from something other than you

Default How to teach baby to drink from something other than you

My daughter, my third child, is about to be 9 months old, and I have no idea how to get her to drink from a straw or sippy cup. She has only been breastfed, no bottle, and doesn't grasp the concept of putting lips together to drink from a straw or a cup. I have given her drinks from my water bottle, so it just flows right in there, and she LOVES water, but when I try to giver her a cup for herself, she looks at me like I am the crazy...lol... any pointers? My boys just took to it, she on the other hand though has me stumped!

Default Re: How to teach baby to drink from something other than you

Do you ever give her cups in the bath? Also, doesn't she see her brothers drinking from cups? I think sippy cups are super hard to drink out of. You could also fill a straw with water and let it out in her mouth, then put the straw back in the cup and she may suck on it.

She could drink out of the water bottle when you poured the water into her mouth? She just doesn't want to hold onto it herself?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Have you tried just a regular cup? That's all my daughter ever used. The only thing we ever put in it was tiny amounts of water (which is all they need to be drinking from a cup at that age anyway) so it didn't matter much if it spilled and she mastered it pretty quickly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

She does see us drinking from cups, and she plays with cups in the bath, but it is almost like she has to drink from me... whether its I give her a drink from my cup or bottle, or breast. She will drink from a straw too, if I drop it in her mouth, but I know she is getting to the age where she can hold her own drink and give it to herself. All the ways, other than breast feeding, have left her to open her mouth, and not try to suck, which is necessary with a straw. I am trying to take the stopper out of the cup now and give to her the last few days, but she is more interested in banging it around, like in the bath tub, than in trying to drink from it, but she knows when it is in my hand she gets a drink, so I don't know if it is just she doesn't want to, or just going to take more practice?

I'm sure she knows that if she wants to drink from the cup that she can. Also, she's only 9 months old, she'll catch on at some point.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months