Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it too late?

Default Is it too late?

My son is 5mo and for the first 3mo I was able to EBF but I have been bad about giving bottles and not pumping enough. Now my milk is almost gone it feels like. My son is almost completely on formula at this point. When I pump I get maybe an ounce between both sides every two hours. I recently bought some fenugreek and I am ready to try what I think I have heard it called a "nursing vacation". But he will nurse and he is still hungry after nursing. Do I supplement after nursing? He easily takes 6-7 ounces every three hours. I would love some advice on how to do this. How much fenugreek to take how long before I should see an increase? And any encouragement would be appreciated too!

Default Re: Is it too late?

Weaning from formula is absolutely possible. This link explains how to go about it: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/. Basically you increase the number of nursing sessions as much as possible while gradually cutting down on the amount of formula you're offering.

Fenugreek dosage is usually around 2-4 capsules 3 times a day, or enough that your sweat and urine start to smell like maple syrup (yes, really!). While fenugreek is helpful, do not expect it to do the job on it's own. When it comes to increasing supply, there is no substitute for increased frequency of stimulation to the breast via nursing or pumping.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"