Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: daycare accidentally fed LO someone else's bottle?

Default daycare accidentally fed LO someone else's bottle?

When I picked up LO at daycare today, his daily report said he'd eaten four bottles today... but I only sent him with three :-O Which means that either they marked someone else's bottle on his daily report (not a big deal), or they fed him someone else's bottle (kind of a big deal?).

He's 6 mos old and has been exclusively breastfed. IF he was given another baby's bottle, then there's the possibility that he ate either someone else's breastmilk, or formula. Should I be concerned either way? Like, could someone else's breastmilk be dangerous from a health perspective, or could formula upset his stomach and should I be on the lookout for any digestive issues?

Or am I worrying for nothing?

Default Re: daycare accidentally fed LO someone else's bottle?

Yes. You are worrying for nothing.
    1) If it is someone else's breastmilk that would only be a problem if the mom had a serious illness that is passed through bodily fluid. But then I doubt she would send it for her own child. For a lot of history people used wet nurses so babies have been drinking milk from other women for a long time. And lots of moms on these boards donate milk or use donated milk, which is essentially the same thing.

2) If it is formula, then there's no cause for worry. Lots of babies are supplemented with formula or fed a combination of breast milk and formula. Worst case scenario it causes some gi issues. They're not fun, but also not a big deal.

Jeez, I'd be MAD!!! A formula bottle is no big deal- except that it is. You want your baby to be breastfed, not combination-fed. You're paying the daycare to follow your wishes. A bottle of somebody else's breastmilk is an even bigger deal. Yes, the milk was probably fine. But there are absolutely health risks to using milk from another mom. She could have some transmissible disease, she could be using some drug which you don't want your LO to ingest, she could be eating something your LO is allergic to... No matter how remote those risks are they need to be taken seriously by the daycare!

I'd immediately address this with the daycare. Hopefully they had a leftover bottle of YOUR milk that they used. But if not, you need to make sure that this does not happen again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

After reading Mommal's post, I wanted to add--Absolutely check this out with daycare and let them know it is NOT OKAY. They should be feeding baby what you leave. Namely your milk. But as far as worry for the immediate wellbeing of your baby, I think there is no reason to be really worried.

I'd be angry that it happened, but not necessarily concerned about my baby's health. I mean, there's no point getting too worked up about it, since it's done and you can't undo it. But you definitely need to talk to the day care about how it happened and how they can make absolutely sure it never happens again.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks ladies. Do you think it's sufficient to address it with his teachers, or should I also talk to the center director?

I would address it with the teachers first to see what the explanation might be. But if you believe it was not your milk, I would make sure the center director knows.
    DSD (15), DSS (12), DS1 (10), DD1 (8), DS2 (2), and a new little bean on the way in May 2013.