Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: making siblings vs. BFing longer

Default Re: making siblings vs. BFing longer

I had both my kids after 30, what's tougher about having them after 30? And if you want to have 4 or 5 and are 27 years old, clearly you are going to have more than one after 30.

I mean this in the kindest way possible - but don't compare your baby to other babies you know. You don't want to get stressed out because you expect your child to do certain things early and it may or may not happen. All children are individuals and even two children with the same two parents can be drastically different.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I didn't have my first kid until I was 30. Almost 31! Trust me, whatever a woman may have lost in energy in her 30s in comparison to her 20s is more than made up for by what she has gained in wisdom and experience. So don't be scared of having kids in your 30s.

Cloth diapers are supposed to make potty training faster. And I am sure they work that way for some kids. But not all! I have been CDing my you ger kid and she is 2.5 and, yes, still not potty trained.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I'd like to add that I have a few friends who have children about 2 years apart and they get along fine, one of my friends is even tandem nursing her kids. All of mine were exacly 3 years apart (not by any means planned that way). However I did find it easier to explain about my having a baby in my belly and them being potty trained by the time the next one came around. Scientifically speaking, they say to wait a year to get your body time to rest between babies. However plenty of people get pregnant very quickly after having babies... 6 months and less even! You pretty much have to do what works for your family.
    Passed my CLC exam!

Mother of 3: 12-25-04 12-3-07 1-13-2011

Just chiming in with my experience.

I am in my mid-30's. It took us 1.5 years to conceive my oldest. The next two were "one-hit wonders"; my first two are 17 mos apart, and #2 and #3 are 21 mos apart.

While I wouldn't recommend spacing kids so close together for everyone, for us it works; I'm not getting any younger, and if #1 and #2 had been further apart, we may not have had #3. That being said, each pregnancy was harder and harder on me, and I didn't even have any problems really (in terms of gest diabetes, hypertension, etc) - it was more mental and physical exhaustion, probably stemming from having 2 under two while also working full-time outside the home. I feel as though it I had started younger, I could have either 1) spaced them out better or 2) tolerated the close spacing better.

I wouldn't trade my kids for anything, but if you are young, I'd probably try for 2+ year gaps. Don't count on breast feeding to protect you - didn't work for me
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

i've got a 10 month old and I think about that exact thing. except I'll be 40 in January... took us a long time to get one to stick. I go back and forth between wanting to give him as much time with me as possible (nursing, etc) and the possibility of a sibling. I started getting regular periods when he was 5 months old which was a total bummer. we are going to reaccess when he's a year old. I definitely have less energy then I did at 27 but he doesn't know and well I hope I bring other things to the experience. I also think he's made us younger!!

Mine are 20 months apart and they adore eachother. While going from 1 to 2 was challenging adding a second was much easier for me than my first! That being said I'm trying to wait a tad longer to add a 3rd there were a lot of things DS could do at just past 2 years that would have made the end of my pregnancy easier (climbing in and out of his car seat, etc)

Like pps have said though there's more that factors into wether children are close than age alone. I'm still trying to convince DH of this!
    Married to my High School sweetheart 5-15-04

SAHM to:
    born 6/1/10 tongue and lip ties nursed 13 months with sore nipples and mutually agreed it was time to quit!
    born all natural 1/27/12 nursed for 16 months and lost interest
    1/1/14