Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9.5 month old barely interested in nursing

Default 9.5 month old barely interested in nursing

I have posted on here before about my daughter's seeming disinterest in nursing and preference for food. I have been trying VERY hard to keep her interested in nursing but it really seems like she just doesn't want to. She is VERY distractible but even when I nurse her in a dark room she still barely latches before pulling off, either in frustration, disinterest or distraction. She nurses well about 3 times per day. At 3am, 8am and about 3pm she nurses very well. And I can hear her gulping so I know she is getting a lot (which makes me think I don't have a supply issue) I try at least 5 other times per day to nurse her and it almost always goes like this: Latch for about 5 seconds (I have counted, btw) pulls off and then, after MUCH coaxing, relatches for another 5 seconds. She repeats this cycle maybe 4 or 5 times and my milk usually doesn't let down so she just flails out of my arms. I can still tell when my milk is about to let down and I try try try to get her to latch on but most of the time she just won't and I give up. I can nurse her and have this typical situation occur, then put her in her high chair and she will eat and eat and love every minute of it. Then she will do her usual distracted nursing session right after eating and be on her merry way. I feel terrible. Not only do I wish she would nurse more, but I feel really sad and hormonal about her seemingly early weaning process. Could she possibly be getting enough milk? She has been a very very slow gainer since about 6 months and, seeing as I am nursing upwards of 8 times per day, the naturopath has suggested giving her higher fat foods which has seemed to work well to help her gain. I really don't know what else I can do. If I dont feed her solids she gets really upset but doesn't nurse more. I really do attempt nursing at least 8 times per day. Is there anything else I can do? Do I maybe have low supply? Thanks for your time.

Default Re: 9.5 month old barely interested in nursing

Hey Mama! Sorry things are so rough, our babes are about the same age and my DD does this sometimes too...

Have you tried pumping or hand expressing a little before you nurse her? That might get the milk closer to the let down so that when she's ready to eat, your totally ready. It may be that she is what I like to call a "Hit it and quit it" baby and if she doesn't get the milk the way she wants it after a couple tries, she's done. My DD can get like this, so I spend about 2-3 minutes just switching sides until the letdown comes. If that doesn't work, I let her go and then 1/2 an hour later I prime the pump (haha) and sometimes that helps. I think our babies are just so active and excited about stuff that they don't want to spend tons of time working for their milk.

I too give in and provide solids - I'm always wondering if I'm doing the right thing because I want her to nurse more. But I just watch her diaper output and unless is goes below 6, I just let her do her thing.

Does she sleep from bed time until 3 am? That's incredible... you could always add in another feeding before you go to sleep and that might give her more milk with less of a fight!

Yeah, she has been an AMAZING sleeper right from the beginning. It is only a new thing that she wakes up that early, she used to sleep from 7pm-6am without waking almost every night, from 4 months until the last three weeks or so. Anyway, thanks for your suggestions! Last night was a bit of a bust because my supply does seem to be pretty low in the evenings and we ended up giving her a bottle (last feeding is the only time she ever gets a bottle). But--- this morning before her nap I switched her from side to side a few times and then tried hand expressing for only thirty seconds or so. Nothing even came out but when she relatched my milk let down and she got the let down on both sides before her nap! Yay!!!!

Hooray!!!! That is so great