Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Morning let-down taking too long!

Default Morning let-down taking too long!

My DD will be 17 mos on 12/2/12 She nurses 4x per day (morning, before nap, before bed & a dream feed before I go to bed). She eats solids really well & also gets some cow's milk & water during the day. The last few days she has been having trouble getting a letdown during her morning nursing. She will suck for 4-5min, so she gets some milk but no letdown. She tries but gets bored I think. My milk usually lets down after 2min or so. The other feedings seem fine, maybe taking a bit longer but she is able to get a letdown. I don't know why this is happening...wondering if anyone has any insight?

- I have not had a period since before I got pregnant with her. I've been feeling for awhile like it's going to start but so far nothing. Last week I was crampy off and on and my nipples were sore but no AF. That seems better now...

- We just recently (like last week) stopped "preventing" another pregnancy so there is a chance that I could be pregnant, but I don't think my body would even have registered that yet. Unless it happened accidentally before

I'm hoping it's just hormones, maybe AF taking her sweet time to get here (ok w/me, ha!)...would trouble with letdown be a normal thing to have before a period? Or very early in a pregnancy? Guess I should probably take a pg test soon...
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong

Default Re: Morning let-down taking too long!

Hi! My son is also almost 17 months and I'm not sure if I have anything to say to help, other than that I've noticed some similar changes lately. I JUST got my first period a week ago, so I'm sure that has something to do with it.

I wanted to ask, are you sure your milk isn't letting down? I don't always feel letdown any more, but assume that the milk is still flowing, to some degree. My son still nurses many times throughout the day and night, and I still pump twice a day at work.

Good luck on the pregnancy front!

Default Re: Morning let-down taking too long!

Thank you! I am pretty sure it's not letting down...I still feel the letdown at every other feeding & she is pretty restless and wiggly while she waits for it. She gets bored and gives up after about 5 minutes. I know that she's getting some milk, just not as much as she would if I had a letdown. Daycare reported that she guzzled her first milk cup of the day today, so that confirmed it too I work 3 days a week and just quit pumping a few weeks ago. I know that supply can drop before your period starts, but it's been probably 5 days of this now. I really thought my period was going to start last week but then the cramps and soreness just kind of went away. I just hope this is temporary and that it doesn't result in her weaning
    DD, 7-2-2011, "Little Owl" nursed for 21 months

DS, 10-10-2013, "Mr. Man" EBF and going strong