Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Stomach virus in 5 month old

Default Stomach virus in 5 month old

We have a stomach virus working it's way through our family and I'm afraid my 5 month old is coming down with it. I know it's best to continue breastfeeding and not switch her to pedialyte, but I've read in some places to limit her nursing sessions to keep her tummy from getting too full and just offer more frequently. Is that correct or should I just allow her full access as normal?

Also, is there a time when pedialyte is necessary? If so, how do I manage that in the most BF friendly way? She's never had a bottle, so I don't even know if she would take one. (She's a prettyfussy nurser anyway, so I'm not real keen on introducing a bottle at all...)

Thanks!

Default Re: Stomach virus in 5 month old

Yuck, tummy bugs are no fun!

I personally don't buy into the advice to limit nursing or to keep feedings small. I figure my kids know when they're hungry/thirsty and when they're not, and know more or less how to limit their own intake when they don't feel well. Now, I have had the experience of nursing a fussy baby and then immediately getting puked on... But IMO that's not a big deal. Vomiting is gross and can be upsetting but there's a physiological purpose to it, and if your kid needs to throw up I don't see a reason to try to stop it. I know I always feel better after I throw up, so why not a baby or child?

As long as a baby is being fed on demand and is not becoming dehydrated, then there's no reason to use Pedialyte. Now, if a breastfed baby was refusing to nurse and was getting dehydrated, then Pedialyte might be worth a try.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

but I've read in some places to limit her nursing sessions to keep her tummy from getting too full and just offer more frequently.
    Wha? who says that? For one thing, how the heck would you know when baby has gotten 'enough' but not 'too much?' I think all that would do is limit comfort nursing, right when baby needs tons of comfort!
    This sounds like formula/bottle feeding ill baby advice that is being (mis)applied to breastfeeding. it sounds silly to me, but if someone can explain why this would be needed I am curious.

I agree with mommal. The only reason for pedialyte would be if sick kid could not breastfeed/get breastmilk. kellymom has a nice article about that.

I've read that too, but I still let baby nurse on demand. It's important when they are sick that they get all the milk they need and they know they need it.
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

My experience: nursing on demand will help more than offering pedialyte or attempting to limit him. His body knows how much it needs. The antibodies from your milk may also help shorten the virus for him. Poor baby (and mama)! I hope you all feel better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Wha? who says that? For one thing, how the heck would you know when baby has gotten 'enough' but not 'too much?' I think all that would do is limit comfort nursing, right when baby needs tons of comfort!
    This sounds like formula/bottle feeding ill baby advice that is being (mis)applied to breastfeeding. it sounds silly to me, but if someone can explain why this would be needed I am curious.
    OK I found it, it's in a kelly mom article I really like and regularly give moms! http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf.../baby-illness/

The way I read it, the emphasis is on upping nursing frequency with the idea that that might result in baby taking in less at a time-to possibly vomit less I guess. She does mention limiting lenght of feedings as well, and even lessening the flow, to prevent dangerous levels of vomiting, I guess? In any case, I doubt she means for moms dealing with an ill child to obsess about the baby somehow getting too much at a time, unless or until dehydration is a danger. Of course, letting/encouraging a baby to nurse frequently when ill makes sense to me all around, and I guess limiting length makes some sense to, I just don't know if the possible positives of doing so would balance out the possible negatives.

Thanks for this post. How long do stomach bugs last? I think LO (5-mos) has had one for the past week and a half -- she has diarrhea and green foamy poos. She's pooing way more than before and the odor is quite strong. She has no fever or any other symptoms. I nurse on demand and co-sleep. Since the nursing is still going well I don't think she's dehydrated. Is there a point when I should call the doctor?

I'd call the doc if baby seems lethargic, runs a ever for more than 3 days or has a fever in excess of 102 (under the arm or ear temp).

How's your milk supply? On the high side, or about equivalent to baby's needs? Green poop is often a byproduct of oversupply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks mommal. My milk supply is just about even to baby's demand (I pump near the same amount she eats during the day) and I don't pump at all when I'm with her. She's got plenty of energy -- started singing this morning at 5 am! So I guess I'll just let it run its course. thank goodness no fever