Re: Cracked Nipples & Oversupply/letdown
Craters, huh? Been there, done that.
Are your nipples emerging from baby's mouth symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/creased/wedged/ridged/shaped like new lipsticks?
Tips for healing/coping:
- See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for help with your latch.
- Get baby checked for a tongue tie, and make sure you discuss the possibility of a posterior tie.
- Moist healing: slather the craters with lanolin ointment, use hydrogel pads (e.g. Soothies), and keep the humidity in your house high.
- Practice rigorous hygiene- wash your bras on hot, change your towels and breast pads often.
- Fight inflammation and infection by using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment on the craters. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger. Does not have to be washed off before nursing.
- Before nursing, immerse the nipple in a shot glass full of warm water. That will hydrate the crack, and should make nursing less painful because softened scabs tear open less painfully than dry ones.
- Vary your nursing position.
Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"