Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nipple discoloured bits

Question nipple discoloured bits

I wasn't really sure which board to post this on. I am due for my second baby anytime now. I noticed that there are bits on my nipples that are discoloured, like a dark colour. I just attributed this to pregnancy and having had a baby before and nursing her. But now I am freaked out and have no idea if this is normal or not. The area around the nipple seems slightly dry as well. I wish I would have asked my doctor about it before now. Some of the discoloured bits can come off if I pick at it but I really don't like doing that.

Is this something to do with my body preparing to produce milk again or do you think it could be an infection or fungus? I have no pain or anything like that. I am just concerned and kick myself for not asking my doctor before since I now am worried that if I go into labour will it be safe to nurse right away (if its a fungus or something).

Default Re: nipple discoloured bits

Sounds like it could be dried colostrum. Many moms will get a little colostrum leakage during pregnancy and see it crust up on the nipple surface.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Congratulations on new expected baby! I agree with mommal, it's almost certainly either a bit of dried colustrum or a pregnancy hormone related color or texture change. in others words, normal and safe. I am no doctor, but I have never heard of a fungus or infection on the nipples that would make breastfeeding unsafe. However if you are concerned enough that you might not initiate breastfeeding, that is a big health concern so I suggest calling your nurse advice line or going back to your doctor for a looksee so you can be sure.

Thanks I never realized you can leak before you deliver. I never had this with my first. I will definately check with my doctor next time I see him which is in a few days. Hopefully baby will be soon!