Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping at work and frustrated

Default Pumping at work and frustrated

So i pump at my nursing home job on the weekends. I was told today that people were complaining because i was taking a half hour to pump. First of all i have to use my break to pump which is only 15 mins and i do not feel this is right. I do not believe it takes me half an hour but i do pump until i stop seeing milk shooting out. I do it on high to save time and it isnt always comfortable but it is quicker. I do not know what to do. Is it normal to take between 20 mins to half an hour to pump? I pump twice at work. This upset me because i pump as quickly as i can but it takes a few minutes to set up and clean up at the end. What should i do? I am going to call my director of nursing tomorrow and talk to her but i would like to know if i am right to be frustrated. I explained to my supervisor i try to hurry but i cannot half pump because i will get engorged that much faster and it will hurt my already lower supply. i already get engorged by time i pump again in the afternoon. She seemed to understand. Please help me.

Default Re: Pumping at work and frustrated

It is definitely normal to take 20 minutes to a half hour to pump. And in the state of New York, your employer is required to give you reasonable unpaid breaks to pump, or allow you to use your paid breaks.

First things first. Talk to the director and let him or her know that you are committed to your job and that you need two pumping breaks. If you have the management backing you up,you may just need to ignore some of the comments and rumbling among other people. Just keep confident and act like its no big deal, and this often rubs off on coworkers.

What does your set up and clean up look like? I brought the Medela little cooler and ice pack, and just wiped the pump flanges after use. So I didn't need to wash parts or transport to a fridge, etc. That shaved off several minutes for me and eventually I could complete the pumping and everything in a total of 20.

I would be careful about pumping on a high setting to where you are uncomfortable. You don't want to cause injury. Have you tried doing breast compressions while pumping too?
    Last edited by @llli*pizanite; November 25th, 2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Autocorrect strikes again
    Lisa

Mom to Aimee, born 8/22/11
    for 20 months!

I agree, talk to the director of nursing if she is the one with ultimate authority. 20-30 minutes is definitely not long. You definitely don't want to be pumping less than you already are - if anything it sounds like you may need one more pumping session if you are feeling engorged by the time you hit the second session and are struggling with supply. I don't know if that's at all within the realm of possibility but if you're talking to the director and you feel that she is on your side, may be worth bringing up.

Setup is hooking pump up and plugging it in, taking shirt off and getting towel. After the pumping is a little more time consuming. I have to rinse out parts on first pump cuz i dont want the milk to sit in it. I also have to pour the milk into the storage bag. It really is not that time consuming. I can put the pump on high after a few mins on medium and it is more comfortable. It might be uncomfortable for a minute but thats it. It just made me mad because it seemed really insensitive. Maybe they never pumped. Ive had guys at work be more understanding than the nurses who complained.

One thing you can do to save time is not clean the pump after you pump. Just throw the whole thing in the fridge. And then take it home and clean it at the end of the day. Breastmilk stays good in the fridge for up to 7 days. So all the milk on your parts is fine to pump twice during the day without being cleaned every time.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sawyerchic28 View Post
    Setup is hooking pump up and plugging it in, taking shirt off and getting towel. After the pumping is a little more time consuming. I have to rinse out parts on first pump cuz i dont want the milk to sit in it. I also have to pour the milk into the storage bag. It really is not that time consuming. I can put the pump on high after a few mins on medium and it is more comfortable. It might be uncomfortable for a minute but thats it. It just made me mad because it seemed really insensitive. Maybe they never pumped. Ive had guys at work be more understanding than the nurses who complained.
    Agreed with PPs who suggested not to clean them as soon as you're done. I always just stored mine in a bag and cleaned them when I got home. It's okay if the milk sits in it for a couple of hours, or in the fridge for a couple of hours. Or have you tried the pump wipes? You jut swipe them on what you need clean and presto, done!

Do you do compressions and massage while you pump? That helps gets milk out faster.
    Daniel Keith + Rachel Joy = Leonel Dante [4/13/2012]

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sawyerchic28 View Post
    It just made me mad because it seemed really insensitive. Maybe they never pumped. Ive had guys at work be more understanding than the nurses who complained.
    You are totally justified in feeling irritated by this. It *IS* insensitive. You are right that they probably have never had the experience of pumping, or they would not be so critical. Pumping is hard work -- anyone who has done it knows this. In my experience, unfortunately women (esp those who are also parents) tend to be a little tougher on each other. Too bad we can't all just acknowledge how hard the whole parenting thing is and just high five each other for doing it at all!

Even though this feels like it is about breastfeeding and pumping, I think you should try to treat it like any other catty office behavior. If you have your supervisor's support, try to let it roll off you, because it's really their problem, not yours!

And for what it's worth, my pump sessions are the same (a few minutes to set up, 20 mins, then a few mins to break down). Actually sometimes longer if I am working through a supply road bump and follow up with hand expression. So it sounds like you've got your routine down pat and are being very efficient with your time :-)

I would suggest try not taking this so hard. Pumping at work is necessary for your own and your child’s health. So what if some of your co-workers complained? It's insensitive and not very nice of them, but, that is their right. As long as your boss or bosses ignore these complaints and are OK with you pumping, you are OK. No reason to not try to be reasonably efficient, but for all you know they are not really upset about the time you take but something else. I guess I am saying no need to kill yourself rushing something this important just because some folks complained.

Just in case it ever does become an issue for your boss, do you know what the law says about pumping at work in your state? (if anything?)

I do it on high to save time and it isnt always comfortable but it is quicker
    I suggest not pumping on the highest setting if it hurts. Good pumps have adjustible levels because different settings are appropriate for different moms. Pump on the highest setting you can that is still comfortable to you. Pain indicates damage is being done, plus pain can inhibit let down so pumping at too high a setting may be counterproductive.