Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked Nipples & Oversupply/letdown

Unhappy Cracked Nipples & Oversupply/letdown

I am currently trying to correct an oversupply and overactive letdown. I also have cracked nipples that are more like craters than cracks. I am sure it is from a poor latch due to my little guy gagging and fighting my letdowns during nursing.

Have any other mothers experiences this issue? I am thinking my nipples might heal after I return to work in January, but wanted to see if there was anything I could do now to help them heal.

Thanks in advance for any advice or past experiences.

Note: I don't remember having an oversupply with my first son, but I think I had a heavy let down since we thought my son had colic for 6 months, but it might have been from my letdown making him so gassy.
    Mother to Alexander (September 2010) and Henry (October 2012).

Default Re: Cracked Nipples & Oversupply/letdown

Craters, huh? Been there, done that.

Are your nipples emerging from baby's mouth symmetrical, like pencil erasers, or asymmetrical/creased/wedged/ridged/shaped like new lipsticks?

Tips for healing/coping:
    - See a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC, for help with your latch.
    - Get baby checked for a tongue tie, and make sure you discuss the possibility of a posterior tie.
    - Moist healing: slather the craters with lanolin ointment, use hydrogel pads (e.g. Soothies), and keep the humidity in your house high.
    - Practice rigorous hygiene- wash your bras on hot, change your towels and breast pads often.
    - Fight inflammation and infection by using a combination of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment on the craters. Use a pea-sized amount, mixed and applied using a clean finger. Does not have to be washed off before nursing.
    - Before nursing, immerse the nipple in a shot glass full of warm water. That will hydrate the crack, and should make nursing less painful because softened scabs tear open less painfully than dry ones.
    - Vary your nursing position.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"