Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need to build supply

Default Need to build supply

So it seems my supply has gone down lately and 9 week old LO isnt satisfied and fights the boobs. Im having a packet of instant oatmeal a day. My once bad boob makes about half of what the good boob does. I am concerned i am not making enough milk for her. Today it was about two and a half since i had last pumped at work and i went to feed her and she was fighting both boobs and she kept popping off. I gave her a bottle of EBM. I fear the birth control is to blame but i hate to go off of it if that is not the cause. I am terrified of getting pregnant even though i am BF. I would like to try to boost my supply without stopping the pill. I know feeding her is the best way to build it but when she isnt getting enough from me i have to give her a bottle to make her happy. Please help me ladies im desperate.

Default Re: Need to build supply

What kind of birth control are you on?

Fighting at the boob is totally normal and not a sign of low supply. Are there other reasons you think you might be having trouble with low supply?

Im on microgestrin. It is a low dose of the pill but my doc did mention it could hurt my supply. Sometimes when she wants to cluster feed she is not happy. If i give her a bottle she can usually eat a few more ounces. My breasts dont really feel full after a few hours. They do get engorged at night because she tends to sleep a 5 to 7 hour stretch and will usually just feed from one side then go back to sleep for a few hours. She used to be happy with one side only now she has to fees from both sides and still isnt satisfied sometimes. I just started massaging my breasts during feeding trying to get more milk to her.

Hmm. Normally doctors would prescribe a progestin-only pill (the "minipill") to avoid your milk supply taking a hit. Maybe you can talk to your doctor about using the minipill instead? It looks like microgestin has estrogen in it.

Here's a good website with evidence-based info about low supply:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

All of the things you mention are normal changes as your body begins to regulate your milk supply and are not necessarily a sign of low supply.