Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 3 weeks, overactive letdown/oversupply in one breast help!

Default 3 weeks, overactive letdown/oversupply in one breast help!

I have a little boy who is almost 3 weeks (19 days) and I have way too much milk in my left breast - it pours out constantly even when not nursing. He is choking/spitting/yanking on the one breast and gets very gassy from gulping. He does great on my right breast.

I normally feed one breast per feed (he is a great feeder and gaining well, never even lost weight) and there is a huge difference in his behavior when he gets the "bad" boob.

I heard that I should only feed from the good breast and "pump off" (just a bit) from the problem breast to help the supply reduce in it. I pumped it fully just to see and got almost 5oz out after only 2 hours from it being drained at the last feed.

The other tricks of just feeding upright/different positioning did not really help much, there is just too much milk in it. My first child (not breastfed) was a reflux baby and I tried all those tricks too but no, too much milk coming out.

HELP!!! He is sooo grumpy on the one side

Default Re: 3 weeks, overactive letdown/oversupply in one breast hel

I did view the too much milk forum but didn't see anything for a baby around his age (1 week, 5 weeks) so I just want to be sure as I don't wish to compromise the supply!

ok so Im no pro by any means but this helped me out with the similar problem. I fed from the good boob first and next feeding I would only feed a little from the bad boob ( I would stop him to burp which was neccesary because of colick and acid reflux) then I would switch to the other breast knowing that let down had already occured so he was getting milk. I continued this regimen until I could tell both boobs were at the same level. Just try and pay attention to your body and at some poi.t youll be able to tell the difference. Good luck

3 weeks is mucho milk production time, things should begin to calm down soon.

I would not suggest pumping, unless you really need to due to engorgement. Pumping can potentially cause problems. What about letting baby nurse just briefly on that side, or hand express a bit to relieve pressure. If pumping does work best for you just keep an eye out for any problems.

keep trying the laid back as well, even if it helps just a little. Also letting that first rush go into a cloth. As things calm down these measures will help more and more.

when i had v. bad overproduction with my baby i found i had to actively encourage more frequent nursing especially overnight. very frequent nursing helped more than anything else.

if you want to try to reduce production, you can try block feeding on the one side.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lleyba56 View Post
    ok so Im no pro by any means but this helped me out with the similar problem. I fed from the good boob first and next feeding I would only feed a little from the bad boob ( I would stop him to burp which was neccesary because of colick and acid reflux) then I would switch to the other breast knowing that let down had already occured so he was getting milk. I continued this regimen until I could tell both boobs were at the same level. Just try and pay attention to your body and at some poi.t youll be able to tell the difference. Good luck
    Thanks, this is what I did last night and it helped quite a bit

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    3 weeks is mucho milk production time, things should begin to calm down soon.

I would not suggest pumping, unless you really need to due to engorgement. Pumping can potentially cause problems. What about letting baby nurse just briefly on that side, or hand express a bit to relieve pressure. If pumping does work best for you just keep an eye out for any problems.

keep trying the laid back as well, even if it helps just a little. Also letting that first rush go into a cloth. As things calm down these measures will help more and more.

when i had v. bad overproduction with my baby i found i had to actively encourage more frequent nursing especially overnight. very frequent nursing helped more than anything else.

if you want to try to reduce production, you can try block feeding on the one side.
    Thank you! I'm struggling to figure out this problem while this is a 3 week growth spurt so I want to be careful not to compromise my supply. Last night, he fed at 7pm (bedtime), 10pm, 2am, 4am, 4:45am (and he's now asleep). The first 4 feedings were done with my right breast (the one without problems) and he had no problem. I used a hand pump on the other side each time for 1 minute just to relieve it a bit. The 5th time I offered him the left breast (the problem one) and he was choking on milk within a few minutes and extremely gassy (he would do this at all other feedings at the same breast).

Every minute of pumping through the night produced 1-2oz of milk each.

Another question- is this just my body or is this baby specific? Because I pumped exclusively for my 1st and never had this (he was never on the breast).

I will look at block feeding thank you. What sort of issue could quick pumping cause rather than hand express??

Pumping is said to be more stimulating to supply than hand expression. So if you have oversupply, you want to avoid the pump as much as possible.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"