Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding a newborn while pregnant

Default Breastfeeding a newborn while pregnant

My lo is 7 weeks old and I am pretty sure that I am pregnant again. We were trying to use bf as a type of birth control but apparently I am one of the few that still ovulates even though she nurses 12-14 times a day. I wasn't sure where to post this because I am still nursing a newborn. Is there anything that I should be aware of that may change with bf. also how do I keep my milk from drying up?
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Default Re: Breastfeeding a newborn while pregnant

have you taken a pregnancy test? Why do you think you are pregnant?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

I took one a couple of days ago and it had a very faint positive but I have been very nauseated in the mornings and had cramping after intercourse( which is how I found out with my first one ) I'm going to take another in a few days and see what happens
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012

Wow. missed this. this is a toughie. While nursing while pregnant is considered safe for the baby growing in the womb, most of the time, we are talking about a much older nursling. it is very possible your milk production would decline too much, so you would very possibly have to supplement.

Just for general information, while no bc is 100% effective, studies show LAM method works about as well as the pill (about 98% effective) but all three of the following criteria must be met, or it's not LAM.

Baby is exclusively breastfed, which means, not receiving anything else, not even an occasional bottle of anything, not even water.
    baby is under 6 months old.
    mom has not had a period.

Even if you had a false positive on your preg. test, that would personally concern me that I was ovulating. You may want to discuss this with your doctor and consider adding another bc method assuming you would prefer to not become pregnant again yet. Be careful, hormone based bc can cause issues with milk production.

That is so young. Is it possible your body still has pregnancy hormones from your previous pregnancy and given you a false positive? Have you seen a doc and had a blood test to be sure?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I waited a few more days and took another one and it was a negative but I'm still really nauseated In the mornings. Talked to my midwife and it may be possible that it just hormones from being pregnant before.
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012

wow, what a relief though that you don't have to worry about your milk for your newborn
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby