Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fenugreek questions for y'all!!!

Default Re: Fenugreek questions for y'all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BensMommie View Post
    oh...another question....he usually eats 4-5 oz from a bottle, but when I pump I never ever get even near that...is that normal??
    This has always been the case for me too. Even in the evening when you think you're empty, he's still getting milk.

Perhaps your ds is going through a growth spurt? How long has he been acting this way?

jentut has a point about baby going through a growth spurt. either my just-turned-6-month-old dd is going to have one soon...or she had it early at 5 months old.

anyways, i took fenurgreek...3 capsules 3 times a day and it worked for me. i used to be able to pump no more than 2oz on the right side and about 1-1.5oz on the left. now i can pump about 4oz from the right and almost 3oz on the left. along with fenugreek, i drank mother's milk tea and at oatmeal for breakfast!

HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

I took fenugreek for a time, too. I took 2 capsules 3 times a day for a few days. I noticed a difference in about 24 hours, and only took the capsules until I noticed that my milk supply had increased. Once I stopped taking them, my milk supply remained the same and did not decrease. However, I have known many mothers that have had to continue taking it for months to keep their supply up.

HTH!

Lisa

My baby would always want to be bfing. I would lay him down after bfing for 30 min to 45 min and after 15 -20 again he would call for mammy cow to come over. Lucky i read "the art of bfing "and didn't doubt my milksupply plus it was very obvious that i had heaps of milk but if one doesn't know and gets advice like i got from my antie- oh perhaps your milk is too thin and he's hungry all the time, you'll have to supplement, that was her diagnoses. Lucky i had read a fare bit about bfing and knew that there was no way i could have short milk supply or thin milk as my ds was wetting/dirtying the correct amount of diapers and putting more than 500 grams a week,obviously darling antie was wrong. Supplement what on earth for?? wasn't he putting on enough weight

Now u can immagine what would of happened if i would of doubted my milk supply....

Default Another ? About Increasing Milk Supply

Hi! I'm trying to increase my milk supply, too. We've had a rocky start getting bfing started, and I want to get things up to par before I go back to work in a few months.

Have any of you had success at improving your milk supply when the baby is 3 weeks old (or older)? (I guess I just need encouragment that it's possible!) The ped has me on a schedule that alternates bfing with 1-1/2 to 2 oz. formula supplements to help my dd gain weight.

When I pump (irregularly), I never get more than a little puddle at the bottom of my Medela PISA bottle. (Yesterday it took me 3 or 4 pumping sessions of 10 minutes each to get 1 oz.) So here's my plan to boost my milk production--would you all do anything differently?

1) Keep bfing on demand, but at least every 2-1/2 hours during the day.
    2) Before I give the formula, bf unti lthe baby seems satisfied--then "top her off" with the formula.
    3) Take a lactation supplement that contains fenugreek & blessed thistle.
    4) Pump in the morning and after each feeding. But for how long? Would you recommend a different pumping schedule?

If I increase the time that baby's at the breast, and pump more, should I see better results?

Bensmommie, I'm sorry to piggyback this question onto yours, but I hope the advice could help both of us... Thanks in advance! (These posts have been a lifesaver for us!)