Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fenugreek questions for y'all!!!

Default Fenugreek questions for y'all!!!

Hey everyone,
    I've read that Fenugreek is a good way to increase your milk supply, so I have a few questions for those of you who have taken it. How many and how often do you take them. Does it help? or did you notice a difference and how long did it take you to notice? Once you build up your supply do you quit taking them, or if you quit taking them will your milk decrease?? I'm curious as to know what everyone thinks on the subject!! My dr. seems to think that my low supply is due to my breast reduction in '02. I still try to feed or pump every 2-3 hours, and my supply seems adequate until late afternoon and then it's like a desert.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

Default Re: Fenugreek questions for y'all!!!

I take fenugreek. I started out taking 2 capsules 3 times a day. They say to build up your dose until your urine/sweat smell like maple syrup. Mine did by the 3rd dose of 2 caps. I noticed an increase within 2-3 days. Now I try to take atleast 2 caps 2x a day, but somtimes I forget. It is worth a try

Hi - I take Fenugreek as well. I take 3 capsules 3 times a day (total of 9 per day). I found that it took alomost two weeks for me to notice a difference. It wasn't a dramatic change, but I can tell there is more milk than before. I can hear my LO gulping a little more and I also feel fuller & have harder breasts (usually overnight when we go a little longer between feedings). And the maple syrup smell is overwhleming at times, but I'll take it as long as my LO gets a good supply of milk.

I have only been taking it for about three weeks now. I haven't stopped so I can't give you any info about what happens when you stop taking it. I plan on taking it for awhile.

Not sure if that helps you, but that's what works for me. Good luck!!!

Eat oats, protein and drink tons of water. That should help, too.

How has your baby's weight gain been? How many wet diapers per day? Monitoring the weight and the diapers will tell you if the baby's getting enough milk.

I change him frequently and he's wet every time, sometimes in the morning he's actually wet through. For a while he used to be stinky with every change, but that's quit. Now he only goes once a day and it's been a little looser lately, my hubby had the stomach flu last Wed. do I don't know if it's a coincedence or if he's got a touch of something, but I'd think if he had a touch of something...he'd be going more than once a day. We're still breastfeeding on demand around the clock, basically every two to three hours during the day and evening and every 4 hours at night....although last night he slept 6 hrs straight. We still give him 4oz of formula right before bedtime, and then I pump. It's the only time I usually pump unless he sleeps through a feeding. Should I be pumping after each feeding too???
    Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by BensMommie View Post
    I change him frequently and he's wet every time, sometimes in the morning he's actually wet through. For a while he used to be stinky with every change, but that's quit. Now he only goes once a day...
    You're looking for 5-6 wet disposables diapers or 6-8 wet cloth diapers per day. From what you've said, it sounds like he's doing well. Why does the doctor think you have a low milk supply?

It's very common for babies to be fussy in the evening.

he's always hungry!!! Always rooting and sucking on his hands! His fussyness gets to be around the clock. It's not unbearable, but fussyness all the same. He's even gotten where most of the time with his night bottle, he refuses it, and wants to nurse, but nothing is coming out of me by then.

oh...another question....he usually eats 4-5 oz from a bottle, but when I pump I never ever get even near that...is that normal??

Quote Originally Posted by BensMommie View Post
    oh...another question....he usually eats 4-5 oz from a bottle, but when I pump I never ever get even near that...is that normal??
    Totally normal. I rarely pump more than 3 oz at a time. Lots of women just don't respond to the pump the way they do to the baby.

It's also VERY normal for the baby to "cluster feed" in the evening. He'll want to eat every 30 mins and it seems like there's not enough milk because he's fussing, but most of the time it is just normal nighttime fussiness. Just let him nurse as much as he wants.
    Lynda
    Tree-hugging, queer-loving, liberal, feminist Mommy to L August 2006