Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If baby sleeps past 3 hours, should I pump?

Post If baby sleeps past 3 hours, should I pump?

Occassionally our 4 week old sleeps past 3 hours, should I pump a little at the three hour mark or just nurse her normally when she wakes up? I'm torn between breastfeeding 'on demand' (which I think would have me wait) and keeping my supply up (it's been good so far and baby is gaining plenty of weight - I'm a little paranoid about messing up my supply since it has been good). Or should I only pump if my breasts get really uncomfortable? Thanks for help!!

Default Re: If baby sleeps past 3 hours, should I pump?

just nurse her when she wakes or you can always latch her on if you wanted while she was sleeping.

Welcome to the forum!

As long as your baby is gaining weight normally, peeing and pooping normally, not excessively sleepy, and is only occasionally going >3 hours without nursing, I don't think there's any need for you to do anything but maybe try to gently wake her around hour 4 during the day and maybe hour 5-6 at night.

It's generally a good idea for new moms to avoid the pump when nursing is basically going well. It's very easy for a new mom, whose supply is naturally high and also very responsive to additional stimulation, to pump herself into an oversupply. Oversupply isn't what you want: it means more frequent discomfort from fullness/engorgement, more risk of plugged ducts and mastitis, and can make letdowns so fast that the baby will struggle with them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for the replies ... soon after i posted this the other day, she woke up. but then last night she slept for 6 hours and she's going on another long stretch now. she didn't sleep much yesterday so i guess she's just catching up on her rest? so hard to know what to do as a new mom ... appreciate the support.

It sounds like things are going pretty well! Just keep at it, and be aware that when a baby sleeps 6+ hours at night, it's very common that you'll see your fertility return. So while it's still a little early to be thinking about sex and birth control, it's important to be careful right now!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I started pumping one bottle a day at the 5 week point because my son started to have these crazy long stretches of NAP in the day and also started giving me a 4-5hour stretch at night. I used the one bottle a day for my DH at night. I think taking care of a kid 22hours a day is enough. So we utilized those bottles for him and the baby to bonded so I could have 2hours a day of ME time. Which I could use to nap or shower or watch TV. But I could look forward to it all day and it really helped in a time that could be very isolating and also sometimes overwhelming.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrstiner View Post
    thanks for the replies ... soon after i posted this the other day, she woke up. but then last night she slept for 6 hours and she's going on another long stretch now. she didn't sleep much yesterday so i guess she's just catching up on her rest? so hard to know what to do as a new mom ... appreciate the support.
    You really are doing so well. It's great to hear.

Personally I didn't like pumping to have my dh give bottles. I only pumped when I was getting ready to go back to work. It all goes by so fast, you'll be shocked.

Keep up the good work mama

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mtmama View Post
    You really are doing so well. It's great to hear.

Personally I didn't like pumping to have my dh give bottles. I only pumped when I was getting ready to go back to work. It all goes by so fast, you'll be shocked.

Keep up the good work mama
    Right I wasn't going back to work. So without my 2hour break it seemed like a neverending task.

Way too lazy for formula