Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2week old not pooping in almost 24 hours

Default 2week old not pooping in almost 24 hours

So this is my first baby and we've been bfing great. Even today she's been nursing like a champ, having plenty of wet diapers, and otherwise acting normally. Up until now she's had 3-5 so this is kinda throwing me for a loop. She's nursing for at least 15 min each side, not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance

Default Re: 2week old not pooping in almost 24 hours

I think it's too early to be concerned, if all has been going well up until this point. While unusual this early, a breastfed baby going a day or more between poops can be just a normal pattern after 4-6 weeks.
    So as long as baby is nursing at least 10 times each 24 hours, peeing normally, not ingestiong anything else (assuming baby is exclusivelt breastfed) and you have not started taking birth control or anything else that can cause reduce milk production, it's very likely this is fine. But it may help ease your mind to talk to baby's doctor or have baby weighed, if you are at all concerned baby is not getting enough milk.

with LLLMeg. As long as the baby is nursing at least 10-12 times a day and is peeing at a normal rate, then it's too early to worry. If you have any question about the pee output- and that can happen when a tiny newborn pee gets "lost" in a super-absorbant disposable diaper- it helps to tuck a square or two off tissue paper in front of her genital area. When the baby pees, the paper will be visibly wet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thanks for the reassurance and replies. i'm relieved to say that later in the evening/night we had 2 very large poos so that was a big weight off my shoulders. I'm wondering if the issue was from over indulging in foods i've not had in weeks on Thanksgiving? or is it probably just a coincidence? this experience has deffinately made me look foreward to my first local LLL meeting!

I really would not read anything into it at all. This sounds like a perfectly normal variation to me. Babies surely like to keep us guessing! The only way the holiday may casue this kind of thing is sometimes moms get super busy over the holidays or are out of thier comfort zone travelling or with visitors and may 'forget' to nurse as much as usual. I seriously doubt what you ate or how much did anything.

That is great you have a LLL Group near enough to you. I went to my first LLL meeting when my oldest child was 7 months old! How I wish I had gone earlier. You should be able to call your local Leaders when you have questions as well, fyi.

with LLLMeg. Nursing moms often get waaaaay too worried over their diets. In general, there's no foods a nursing mom needs to avoid, aside from large amounts of alcohol or caffeine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"