Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need to some advice!!

Default In need to some advice!!

I just had my daughter on Monday (November 19th), she immediately wanted to latch and there was really no problem. The lactation consultant that I spoke with told me that my milk should come in by Thanksgiving and if it hasn't by the weekend to give her a call. Well we have been home for a few days now and she still has no problem latching, now it seems that she just isn't getting as much as she wants. Also my nipples are incredibly cracked and almost scabbed over. She feeds every two to three hours during the day, during that time I let her stay latched until she lets go. During that time though the initial latch is almost unbearable and I am almost in tears every time. At night is another story, it seems that she wants to feed more often and also seems less satisfied. I try and keep her awake for at least a 30 minute feeding but as soon as she is asleep and I lay her down she is up and ready for another feeding within 30 minutes. I also don't know if my milk has come in or not. When I wake up in the mornings my breasts are hard and sore so I think there is milk, but when I try and pump or hand express I am lucky to get a few drops.I am becoming overwhelmed and really don't know what to do. So I guess my questions are. What are some solutions for the extremely sore and cracked nipples? I have tried expressing some milk and letting it air dry on them, taking a bath and covering with warm wash cloth, lanolin cream. I have run out of ideas! My other question is how can I get my milk to come in, and is it normal for it seem for the supply to slow down at night. I know it has only been a few days and these things take time, but the amount of pain and frustration that I am in, I feel I am on the verge of giving up. Please any and all advice is welcome!! Thanks in advance!

Default Re: In need to some advice!!

Welcome to the forums and congrats! I'm fairly new here myself, but I do have some experience with pain while nursing! When my DD was born 3 months ago, I had an awful time. I had had a c-section, but my doula was there to help me out at first. After she left, I was trying to get my baby latched on by myself, and it didn't go well. Honestly, I'm not sure if it was that we latched poorly, that my nipples weren't used to the constant stimulation, or the fact that she had a posterior tongue tie and lip tie that we didn't find out about till many weeks later. I saw a LC the next day in hospital...she told me that I was waiting too long to offer the breast, and the baby was getting frantic and that was my problem (not sure how that was though...she was pretty much hooked up the whole time, lol. I joked that the first night, she was NOT on the breast for a total of maybe 45 minutes! which is completely normal). She said that they would give me a script for Dr. Jack Newman's all purpose nipple cream, which I got filled when I left the hospital. By that point, my nipples were so macerated and painful, I dreaded each feed. I was taking the tylenol with codeine as much for my nipple pain as for the incisional pain. On day 5, we had our appointment with another lactation consultant, who told me to stop using the ointment, and to just use breast milk and let them dry out. I really wish that I had not followed that advice. I wonder if things would have turned out differently. Long story short, we're still having some pain 3 months later, fighting thrush, and trying to improve a shallow latch. We're still working on it, and hopeful that things will get better!

The moral of my story...do NOT wait to get in-person help from a good lactation consultant. DO find a doctor that is willing to prescribe the nipple ointment and try that. DO find your local LLL and attend the meetings if you're able to, or at the very least call your local leader. DO ask as many questions of the mamas on this board as you need to. I really wish that I had found them sooner! Also, take comfort that it will get easier and better if you keep working at it. Although we're still having issues, the pain is nowhere near what it was at the beginning, and the joy that I've gotten from being able to breastfeed my baby is worth it all.

Good luck, and hope to hear how things go for you!

Breast that are hard and sore are usally full. And a pump is no indicator of your milk. Especially if you let your baby nurse on demand which is what you are doing and what you SHOULD do.
    1st. Don't panic. Even if your milk is NOT in your baby can live on colostrum alone for 5 days or longer if need be. It's very very nutrient rich but there is not much of it, but the newborns NEED it and there is certainly no harm no foul if they get MORE of it.
    2nd Don't Panic. It's completely normal for babies to cluster feed at night. The hours between 7&10 are generally called the Witching hour and not for nothing. But milk is all supply and demand. If there is a need for more milk in the evening and your baby call for it and you feed her, more milk will come. I think a better idea, especially this early on if you want to feed less than every half hour at night (which is totally normal and NOT cause for alarm) would be to stop trying to put her down. Hold her. Let her sleep on your chest. Or next to you. This would probably get her to stay alseep longer. Think about it from her POV. You are all she knows. She has been inyou/on you 24/7 for 9months. Even if you held and fed your child for 12hours a day, that would be a 50% reduction in what she is used to. So every time she wakes and can't feel you or smell you, it's very normal for her to panic and want to reattach. If you allow her to feel you and smell you while she sleeps she is less likely to wake all the way up and need to nurse.
    3. In terms of your nipples, you should be walking around topless all day long. Letting them air dry and be exposed as much as possible. This will make for MUCH quicker healing! If you have to go out, there are these things you can buy called nipple shells, which allow your breast to continue to haver air cirulating to them without having any thing really touch them. These dont' in anyway speed up healing the way constant exposure does but it does not exacerbate the problem the way covering your moist, irritated, wounded skin does.
    4th. DO NOT PANIC! There is NOTHING that you describe here that sounds in anyway abnormal or problematic. Including intitial latch pain. Which should decrease as her mouth gets larger and she gets more practice. And while a child is working to get your milk to come in AND in the weeks following when she is working to regulate your supply it is NORMAL for a baby to nurse NON-STOP around the clock all day long. Like literally 10-12 times a day at least for 30-60minutes at a time. It's all supply and demand. The only way to get your body to make the milk is to send your body the signal via the child. So let your baby do her thing. And wrap your mind around the idea that it's an all day every day thing for the 1st 4-6 weeks AT LEAST. Like get up with one goal in mind every day. FEED THE BABY. It's your only real job right now. Everything else can wait. You have one window of opportunity to do this and get it right. And not doing right will mean playing catch up for weeks if not months. Do not supplement. Do not try to pump and bottle feed her until after the 4-6 weeks point. Let the baby at your breasts as often as she wants to be there. Set up a "nursing station" where you plan to be most of the day. With remotes and phones and your laptop and food and drink. I got up to pee, change diapers and get more food. That's it. Feed the baby.
    5th in terms of latch, if you are in anyway unsure, you can watch the Dr. Jack newman vidoes online to make sure you have a good latch. (A nipple snadwich and all of that.) AND if it hurts signifigantly LESS On on side than the other, that probably means your baby has a "good side". If that seems to be the case, come back and lets talk about it. I know some pretty good tricks about getting a baby who does better work on one side than the other to give even breast time.
    6th. YOU CAN DO THIS! You were made to feed your baby. Trust your body, trust the process and trust your baby! Good Luck! HTH!
    Last edited by @llli*djs.mom; November 23rd, 2012 at 11:53 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you so much for all of your advice and support. i just got off the phone with the LLL in my area and she happens to live pretty close to me so she is going to be able to come over and help me face to face, which I think will help me a ton. I Think at this point I am feeling incredibly over whelmed, under slept, and like I am broken in some way because this is not happening as easily as I thought it would. I think there are some baby blues mixed in there as well. When thinking about setting up a "nursing station" it is a over whelming thought that this is all I will be doing for the next four to six weeks. I am not one that likes to just sit around, and even though I would be doing something incredibly productive and such a beautiful thing all around it still scares the crap out of me. That i will go stir crazy and just spiral further into the baby blues. I guess that is a different problem all together!
    You mentioned if one side hurts significantly less than the other. As a matter of fact that is the case! My left seems to be fairing a lot better, I have read that most women no matter what side they usually favor the right breast is usually the more productive one. Who knows if there is any truth to that, but in my case that is the breast that seems to be engorged more often and the nipple is ravaged. I have still been trying to feed on that side because I know that it is important so that they will produce equally, but when its the right sides turn, well my eyes are welling up just thinking about it. So yes please any and all tips would be great! Once again thanks so much for all of your advice!

Congrats mama!!!! First I just want to give you a big hug With a 7 week old of my own I know how hard it can be in the beginning. By day 8 in breastfeeding I had a bleeding left nipple that was missing most of the skin and a right nipple that had a large crack at the base. I know what your going through!! One thing that helped me was getting natural mama nipple butter ( I found mine at target). My lo hated lanolin and this butter is made with calendula to help keep out infections but it is completely safe for baby to eat. I just slathered on a big dab of it and lighstly rubbed it in. Also since I had no help from a LC ( she was on vacation ) I just you tubed " how to breastfeed" and " nipple sandwich technique" and watched video after video till I figured it out ! What helped was basically flipping my nipple by putting the bottom of my areola on lo lip and flipping the nipple down into her mouth . It took a week for my nipple to heal but it helped immediately. Babies cluster feeding at night is totally normal. My lo does it for comfort mostly. If you still want to be able to get stuff done and still have her close to see the cues try using a moby wrap. It was one if the best investments I ever made. They are a little pricy ($79) but they are so worth it. Your lo will be able to hear you, smell you, and feel you which means she will be comforted by that and be more relaxed.my lo falls asleep minutes after I put her in hers. It's the only way I can get things done Midwife suggested me using "Mama Calm" for the baby blues. It's a herbal tincture that is completely safe and alcohol free. I was able to get it from Texas medicinals. Most importantly you need to keep calm and rest. You and your baby just went through an amazing but tiring process and need time to adjust and heal. Don't make the same mistake that I did at 3 days postpartum by cleaning my whole house and cooking dinner by 5 pm I was a bleeding emotional wreck. Take time to enjoy your little girl. She will grow up fast and trust me you don't want to miss a second of it
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

*the nipple butter is earth mama not natural mama lol
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ectruss View Post
    Thank you so much for all of your advice and support. i just got off the phone with the LLL in my area and she happens to live pretty close to me so she is going to be able to come over and help me face to face, which I think will help me a ton. I Think at this point I am feeling incredibly over whelmed, under slept, and like I am broken in some way because this is not happening as easily as I thought it would. I think there are some baby blues mixed in there as well. When thinking about setting up a "nursing station" it is a over whelming thought that this is all I will be doing for the next four to six weeks. I am not one that likes to just sit around, and even though I would be doing something incredibly productive and such a beautiful thing all around it still scares the crap out of me. That i will go stir crazy and just spiral further into the baby blues. I guess that is a different problem all together!
    You mentioned if one side hurts significantly less than the other. As a matter of fact that is the case! My left seems to be fairing a lot better, I have read that most women no matter what side they usually favor the right breast is usually the more productive one. Who knows if there is any truth to that, but in my case that is the breast that seems to be engorged more often and the nipple is ravaged. I have still been trying to feed on that side because I know that it is important so that they will produce equally, but when its the right sides turn, well my eyes are welling up just thinking about it. So yes please any and all tips would be great! Once again thanks so much for all of your advice!
    Don't let it overwhelm you. And don't think of it as "sitting around" this is when you and your child find your groove. It's when you get to know each other and literally LEARN how to nurse! AND it should give you the REST that you so despreately NEED. You need to learn to sleep when the baby sleeps. But I know that this soon you won't be able to do that. SO at the very least, REST. Rest when the baby sleeps and rest when the baby eats. Do it with your feet up. And allow yourself to get caught up on whole seasons of Fun TV shows or watch movies that you haven'nt had a chance to see. It's such a SMALL amount of time in your childs life. Where you get to just sit and hold them all day long. Embrace it. Cherish it. You will blink your eyes and you will have a toddler who won't even want to sit still long enough to nurse. Heed my words. You never get this time back. You must go through it. So you can either let it make you miserable or understand it for the very very special time it is and allow it to rejuvenate you.
    Now, in terms of latch, most kid are right or left handed. SO they work better on one side sucking than the other. Whatever side that IS for you, you want to mimic it on the other side. The way you do that is you keep your baby in in that position on the opposite side. When you flip the child, you are putting them in the exact OPPOSITE of the position they do their best work and it can be very very hard. So if your best position is Left side in Cradle than you want to put her in the same position as that on your right side. The easiest way to describe this is if you have a pillow or boppy and after the feed on your right breast the baby was asleep on the pillow, you would move her in that position and move the entire pillow with her on it to your left breast. Which would put her essentially in the football hold on your right side. Does that make sense?
    And if you truly feel like you must move around you should invest in a wrap or a sling. But what you should NOT DO is try to run around while she sleeps and try to clean your house or do laundry. REST. Let that wait until the weekend when you have help. Have your partner bring home take out. Feed the baby. There is a very very primal need to feed our young. PPD is often exacurbated by failing at it. You can do this Mama.

Way too lazy for formula