Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Eating habits change after milk came in....? Help

Default Eating habits change after milk came in....? Help

My LO is just 6 days old and my milk came in around day 4. Ever since, her eating habits seemed to have changed. Its like shes drinking less now that I actually have milk. She'll latch on and nurse for maybe 5-10 min and fall back asleep. I try to wake her and get her to nurse more and sometimes it'll result in another min or two of nursing but thats it. She's also sleeping a bit longer in between feedings. She's pooping ang peeing plenty so I know at least in that respect its ok but Im worried about her not wanting to eat...and also about it decreasing my supply. What do you think could be going on??

Default Re: Eating habits change after milk came in....? Help

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on your LO!

How many times does she nurse during the day, and how has her weight been so far?

carm3 has good questions. At this age baby pretty much eating (10 or more times per 24 hour day) and sleeping and doing little else is normal, so how baby is doing is best measured by output and weight gain. If baby is having a minimum of 3 OK size poops a day, that is a good indicator all is well. If you are worried and baby is not nursing at least 10 times in 24 hours, you could wake baby so baby nurses more frequently. Or you could try doing breast compressions to keep baby nursng longer each session.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 22nd, 2012 at 02:04 PM.

I forgot to link this chart that explains what an "OK" diaper is- http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...diaper_log.pdf

This is a helpful article about the early weeks: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/