Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Changes

Default Changes

We moved to Helsinki from the uk in September. My son who is 2 years 4 months breastfeed a reasonable amount in the uk. With the move he want to feed a lot more and does not want mummy to go out on her own or does not want to go out without mummy. There are a lot of tears etc. He also wants mummy to always play with him and be active with him all the time. I feel this is down to the big change and that he will settle down in time.
    I have my in laws staying with me at the moment. They feel that I should give up or at least refuse more because he will then be calmer because he won't want me as much then.
    I am not planning to stop breastfeeding and am happy to continue as I am. I just wanted a LLL opinion on how to help my son settle in a new country. It is so sad to see him crying for milk when I am am staying at home and he is going out with daddy for example.
    Thanks. Kx

Default Re: Changes

You just made a huge change in your life, and your toddler is responding to that by clinging to you a little more firmly. The best th you can do is to continue to nurse him and let him adjust to his new surroundings. As he becomes more accustomed to his new home and more comfortable in his new life, he's going to decrease his nursing frequency. Take him out- the grocery store, the park- and try to make a routine for him. The more he feels that you will always come back, the less clingy he will be.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Changes

This is all I needed; some wise LLL mum telling me my instincts are ok. I find it hard when I have other people questioning my decisions. My son teaches me that he knows what he needs and not other people. Thank you.