Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't know what else to do :(

Default I don't know what else to do :(

My LO will be 11 months in a week, 2 weeks ago he started to not want to nurse during the day, only when he wakes up, before bed, and if he wakes up once in the middle of the night. He laughs at me and try's to roll away when I try to nurse him during the day, once in a while I can get him to nurse at least once during the day. I've made it this far and I don't want to use formula! I only have 5 weeks I want to make it . I just don't want him to not get the nutrition he needs. I am pumping during the day but only getting at the most 4 ounces a day. What should I do should I give him formula????
    1st time momma to Roman Matthew 12-31-11, so happy to still be bfing

Default Re: I don't know what else to do :(

And the other thing sometimes he nurses less then 5 mins :/

So baby is still nursing 3 times a 24 hour day? How often was baby nursing up until now-was this a sudden drop off or...?
    Also-is baby eating solids yet, how often and how much? What about bottles, or pacifier use?

There is a good chance this is simply a temporary decline in nursing frequency, rather than baby entirely self weaning, which rarely occurs before around 18 months (although it can.) There are many ways to gently encourage baby to nurse more often if you want. I would worry less about feeding length, by this age, babies can be very efficient.

As far as if you will have to give your baby formula or not, that is certainly debatable and would depend on many things. Baby is still nursing, even if not much. If baby is of healthy weight and eating solids, you very may well be able to skip giving baby any formula. But that might best be a question for your pediatrician.

When you say "I only have 5 more weeks" were you planning on weaning from the breast completely by a year? Or do you just mean in regards to the 'does baby need formula' question?

these ideas may help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

He is nursing at least 2 times every 24 hrs, however about 4 days ago he started waking up in the middle of the night around 3 to nurse and sonetimes he will nurse once more during the day. And up until now he was nursing 5-6 times a day, so it was kind of a sudden stop, he only gets bottles when I'm at work which is only 2days a week. And he is eating solids he is a PIG, he eats 6-8 oz of solids 3x a day and he gets either one waffle cookie or two slices of apple in his net feeder for a snack. And he does use a pacifier and he has since he was 2 weeks old. He's very healthily and last check up his weight was great. And I would loveeeee to continue bfing after his first birthday, I'm just wondering if I need to supplement with formula.

Well like I said I am not sure about the formula. I would suspect it would not be needed (even if baby was nursing very little) if baby is eating a healthy solids diet but not entirely sure.

But if you want baby to be more interested in nursing, you could try the ideas in the article and you could consider cutting back a tad on solids or on the pacifier use, or both. And keep letting/encouraging baby to nurse at night, or whenever baby wants.