Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Snotty nose and acid reflux

Default Snotty nose and acid reflux

My lo is 7 weeks old and she has just been put on meds for acid reflux. I really don't like using meds on her since I only use herbs with the occasional meds for myself. I am a little nervous about using the meds since she is so little. Is there anything natural that y'all have found to help acid reflux? She girgles when you lay her flat and swallows a lot. But she dosent spit up much and is gaining great !! The doc said that acid reflux may be a part of what's causing her bad gas. This morning she woke up with a stuffy nose and cough. We are having a little trouble nursing She dosent wang to stay latched on for long . Any tips would be greatly appreciated
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Default Re: Snotty nose and acid reflux

I totally understand not wanting to give meds to dear baby. That said, when the problem is true, painful reflux aka GER, many parents find medication is often the answer and can make a difference for baby. But I agree, best to avoid medications that are not needed.

I am not really hearing anything yet from what you have posted that screams painful reflux to me. Even if your baby spit up a lot. Spit up is reflux-it is also normal and normally not painful and not an issue. GER usually means baby has painful burps or spitups, and may cry in pain when layed flat. Spitty up or not, many babies prefer to be held more or less upright more or less most of the time, and certainly for at least 30 minutes or so after nursing or eating. Baby is on a liquid diet, and it is going to come back up if baby is flat, that's just gravity. As far as bad gas-bad how? Smelly, painful, frequent??? And the new, presumably temporary stuffyness could be any number of things.

Have you considered if forceful letdown is part of what is going on? That is typically fixed or improved by simply changing some nursing habits.

more on forceful letdown http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp.../fast-letdown/
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; November 21st, 2012 at 02:40 PM.

That sounds like what's going on. She has had bad gas since she was 3 weeks old. I mean its bad!! You can hear it rumbeling in her belly and sometimes she sucks her knees up and cries
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

You can hear it rumbeling in her belly and sometimes she sucks her knees up and cries
    I know it's not fun to see baby in pain, but this sounds basically normal to me. One of the surprises of motherhood is that a tiny baby can burp and pass gas or have tummy gurgles that are as loud as an adult's. The sensations of digestion are entirely new to baby, when they have a gas pain or pressure they cannot think "well that is just gas, maybe I need to go to the bathroom." They don't know what is going on. Renently My baby will suddenly wail like a siren sometimes and when I pick her up she makes the teeniest burp and I think "is that what all the fuss was about?" So it is not uncommon for a baby to react in a big way when they feel the normal sensations of digestion.

But if baby is having excess gas due to forceful letdown, the ideas in the article should definitely help.