Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is it safe to warm breast milk in a warmer??

Default Is it safe to warm breast milk in a warmer??

My daughter just started daycare and I was concerned when I was told they were warming my frozen/refrigerated breastmilk (stored in a Lansinoh storage bag) in a bottle warmer. Doesn't the heat compromise the milk? I thought you should only warm it in a bowl of warm water?!

Default Re: Is it safe to warm breast milk in a warmer??

It's been a long time, but I think you're right.

We've been using a bottle warmer the whole time. Geez, maybe we were doing it wrong, but my daughter is healthy so I guess I am in the clear even if we were messing it up!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

We used one too--I may be wrong! I know no microwaving, but now I think I may be off about the warmer.

The most important reason I think to use a bowl or warm water is because you dont' want to shake the milk. Because shaking the milk breaks the amino chains. And Microwaves are a no no due to unever heating and possible burning of the baby as a result. How does a bottle warmer work exactly?

Way too lazy for formula

I thought most bottle warmers were just machines that held warm water with slots for the bottles to sit in. I'm pretty sure that's what they used at Nora's day care back in the day.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*still.here View Post
    I thought most bottle warmers were just machines that held warm water with slots for the bottles to sit in. I'm pretty sure that's what they used at Nora's day care back in the day.
    Hmmm. Is the issue that if it gets warmer than body temperature that kind of heat can damage the milk?

Way too lazy for formula

I always thought bottle warmers were fine?

ETA: Kellymom says it's fine.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

we used one. they can get VERY hot, but i imagine anyone working in a daycare would be experienced with how to set it and how long to leave bottle in.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Some bottle warmers use circulating warm water to heat the bottle, and some use steam. My understanding is that the steam ones can get very hot. It's probably fine either way, but you could ask the daycare for more details about their type of bottle warmer, and research the mechanism it uses to heat the milk. If you are not comfortable with what they are using, and your finances allow, you could always purchase and donate a small crockpot for them to use with your expressed milk. (A crockpot on a low setting does the same thing as a bottle warmer for a lot less money ... a small one would set you back $20.)