Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I don't want to give up :(

Default I don't want to give up :(

My baby girl is going to turn 2 months old this Friday and I went from nursing her all the time her loosing too much weight and having to supplement. The most I've been able to pump at one time is 3 ounce and that is from both breasts now I am lucky to get 1/2 an ounce for the entire day. Lately I haven't had her at the breast very much because she is there for a few seconds then cries because there is nothing left. At the hospital she was born at 7 lbs 3 ounces and came home 6 lbs 8 ounces they I had a check two days after she was brought home and she weight 6lbs 4 ounces I was still breast feeding exclusively and feeding her every two hours.. but I didnt't have much milk she would wake up to eat and then basically sleep the rest of the time.. she was creating plenty of diapers though.. Then her next week check she had only gained 2.5 ounces and her doctor said I need to supplement so I did and that caused her to be gasy and spit up.. So I read into everythin I could find I tried pumping after she ate I have never beable to get enough to supplement with my own breast milk and it only gets worse as she gets older and eats more. I have talked to a lactation consaltant at wic and my latch is fine I just don't produce enough so at my check I talked to my doctor about it and I go the same,, take hot showers , massage,..and I asked about prescriptions because my supply is truelly low and he told me he doesn't do prescriptions.. I was depressed in tears after leaving I feel so bad I never thought this would be difficult and I don't understand why I can't produce enough for her. My mother had an over supply with all of us.. I of course am drinking plenty of liquids I bought mothers milk tea.. Nothing improves my supply so I have basically given up but I still don't want to. I watch youtube videos making sure am pumping correctly, lacthing correctly expressing correctly and I am.. At this point an ounce a day seems to work as a laxative for her because the forumal is so rotten and It just makes me feel worse she would be a happy baby if I could just produce enough.. so After suppleting with forumal her next check which was a week later she weighed 7 ounces more and the doctor was happy.. and he last check she weighed 8lbs 1 ounce.. all probably because the forumal isn't very digestable.. Her whole body seemed to run better when she just had forumal.. unfortunetly even at 8lbs 1 ounce she was on in the 25th percentile .. I don't want her to starve because I can't produce enough but I don't want her to eat forumal either.. I keep trying everything I can to produce more.. pumping every two hours and offering the breasts when ever she is hungry but she isn't on them long because they run out very quickly.. sorry this was so long

Default Re: I don't want to give up :(

Hi there mama, deep breath! You sound really stressed (understandably so), and that can really get in the way of being able to nurse your little one! It sounds to me like your DD has gotten to prefer the bottle, probably because she doesn't have to work as hard to get rewarded. It sounds like your baby was basically normal - newborns don't do much other than eat and sleep! As for the pumping, it's not really a good indication of how much milk you're producing - babies are generally much more efficient than pumps. Maybe you could rent a scale and check her weight pre and post feeding, that would be the best indication of how much she is getting. As for your supply, the best way to get it up is nurse nurse nurse!

Hang in there...by continuing to breastfeed you are doing the best thing you can for your baby. And this forum is really great for support.

So are you saying that right now, today, you are consistently starting your child at the breast at every feed AND pumping every 2hours and in a whole day with pumping every 2hours you are only getting a half oz of breastmilk total? Are are you getting a half oz per pumping session?

Way too lazy for formula

I have talked to a lactation consultant at wic and my latch is fine
    Did you see this lactation consultant? Or just talk to her? WIC should (ideally) be providing you with more assistance as you are still struggling. Does your WIC office provide in person appointments with a board certified lactation consultant (IBCLC) or can they direct you to an IBCLC who can see you-perhaps at a reduced rate or free? I think it would be helpful for you to sit down and talk this all out very thoughly with someone who is trained properly and can watch baby nurse, watch you pump, look at the entire picture and give you a concrete plan and continuing support. From your post it sounds like you are trying so hard to piece a strategy together from lots of conflicting, incorrect, or just not relevant information-for example, hot showers are not going to increase milk production. There are herbal (non-prescription) galactagogues you could consider if your doctor will not prescribe anything, and even if your baby does not nurse long, any time at the breast is beneficial as you figure this out. 3 ounces would be high/normal for a single session output at the pump, and if you are pumping regularly and only getting a half ounce a day, there is something out of the ordinary going on. You are trying really hard to figure this out basically on your own, and while the awesome moms here are going to give you great support and information, I would really like to see you also get some in person help without further delay if that is in any way possible.

Also- I would add to djs.moms questions, have you been put on any type of birth control since baby was born?