Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: ADVICE - Significant change in bowel (poop) color

Default ADVICE - Significant change in bowel (poop) color

Hello everyone,

I have a active and happy 5 1/2 month old boy. I have been taken Fenugreek for the last two weeks since I thought that maybe my milk production was low since he had not gained weight for 6 weeks.

Since then, his poop has gone from a mustard color with a frothy texture (http://www.babycenter.com/baby-poop-photos) to a non-frothy bright green (http://m.similac.com/feeding-expert/...r/bright-green) to now a non-frothy green. He also has begun farting and his farts are smelly.

What do you think might be causing this drastic change? Can the Fenugreek be causing my baby gastrointestinal distress and the poop color change?

Thank you for help!

Default Re: ADVICE - Significant change in bowel (poop) color

Fenugreek could be responsible. But illness- like a tummy bug- is also a good bet.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with the previous post. When I started taking fenugreek, my IBCLC advised that it may caus gastrointestinal discomfort in my son.

Hi,

I have stop taking Fenugreek and the poop has returned to a dark green and sometimes yellow color. The doctor told me not to worry but I can't help myself. Thinking that in might be a fore/hindmilk inbalance, I have begun block feeding but this has not made a difference. Should I worry? Any other advice?

If baby is gaining and happy don't worry about it. If there is a problem otherwise, you can use poop color as one piece of evidence to figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lehall View Post
    If baby is gaining and happy don't worry about it.
    Green poop is not in and of itself a health problem. A baby can have consistently green poop for months and still grow and develop completely normally- my second daughter is living proof of that!

You want to be careful with block feeding. It's designed to reduce supply and it's possible to go too far.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"