Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 9 mon old no interest in solids new dr is making me anxious

Default 9 mon old no interest in solids new dr is making me anxious

so my little guy is 9 months old. he is not really interested in solids. i have been offering them to him on and off for months. but he makes the most awful faces and closes his mouth and pushed the spoon away. sometime making himself gag it all up. he's been a good nurser and has had nothing but the breast. his weight gain is also great. he's a plump healthy baby.

so we went to new pediatrician this week (as we relocated) and i got this whole speech about if he doesn't start eating them soon it's going to be really hard to introduce them to him. and now she's got me all worried about his iron. they are insisting on drawing blood to test his levels and giving him a supplement.

i get wanting to make sure he's got enough iron and i'm inclined to wait until at least after his test results to see if he is in fact anemic.

but what do i do about the solids. i've tried everything. homemade mixed with breastmilk, store bought organics, cereal... am i really ruining his chances to be a good eater later on?

any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: 9 mon old no interest in solids new dr is making me anxi

Have you tried any finger foods? Beans (I used canned because I'm lazy) and lentils are a good source of iron. Other finger foods: bananas, sweet potatoes (baked in strips), dry cereal/puffs, etc. You can skip the spoon altogether; my second child was only on purees for a month or so - HATED being spoon fed. Some additional ideas can be found at www.wholesomebabyfood.com

I'm surprised your pedi didn't just check a hematocrit in the office; most can do that.
    Little SW, Aug '09
    Miss MW, Jan '11
    Sir RW, Oct '12
    3 kids in 38 mos

Oh for crying out loud. Does this doc seriously think that if you don't push solids your child is going to never, ever eat them? Like he'll be 35 years old and still coming over to your house on his lunch break to nurse? "Sorry, fellas, I can't stay for the noon meeting. I need to nurse before mom shuffles off to her bingo game". I'm sorry for the but your doc's advice/concern is laughable. You have a nice healthy baby who is doing well on breastmilk, and your doc should have given you a big high-five and told you that you were doing everything right!

According to my pediatrician, until around the 1 year mark solids are for fun with new tastes, textures, and motor skills ONLY. They are not nutritionally necessary, because breastmilk (or formula) alone is capable of meeting all baby's nutritional needs until somewhere around the first birthday. When a baby starts to need solids, trust me: that baby is going to eat solids! But don't be too surprised if the baby doesn't eat more than a token amount of solid food until he is well into his second year, because it's not like a baby goes from needing only mom's milk on day 364 of life to needing a ton of solid food on day 365.

Neither of my kids had much interest in solids until around 14-15 months, but they are both fantastic eaters now. DD1 hated the spoon. If we tried to spoon-feed her she would turn up her nose and bat the spoon away, sending food flying. I think I still have some pureed yam stuck to the wall in the dining room. Eventually I just let her feed herself, which is an approach called "baby-led solids". With BLS, you put a variety of healthy solids in front of the baby and let him explore them with his hands, convey them to his mouth, taste them, and eat them. Baby gets to decide how much and how fast to eat. It's a very breastfeeding-friendly approach, because breastfed babies are used to regulating their own intake.

At 9 months, it's very standard for the doc to do a blood test for hemoglobin. Breastfed babies generally get enough iron, but babies who were born prematurely, babies who are predisposed to anemia, and babies whose moms are iron-deficient do sometimes come up short on iron. A dropperful of baby vitamins is an easy fix for a baby who is low on iron- but again, most breastfed babies aren't!
    Last edited by @llli*mommal; November 20th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

You've said you've tried everything? How about some solid foods in their natural form? Rather than gross mushy purrees? Look into Baby led solids. Because not only does it give a MUCH clearer picture of whether or not a child is READY for solids, it also lets them explore and learn at their own pace. If you put solid hand held size slices of apple on a tray and your baby doesn't pick it up or mouth it on his own, he is NOT READY. IF he pushes cheerios around on his tray and sniffs them and puts them in his ear, NOT READY. BUT if presented with solids after meeting all the appropriate milestones, (sitting unassisted, able to use oncher grasp ect) if a child grabs food on their own, and puts it in their OWN mouth, then they are ready to begin to explore solid food. Now my son started picking up and putting food in his own mouth at around 7months. (Even though we started trying at 6months.) But he didn't actually SWALLOW any food until almost 9months. So it's DEFINITELY a PROCESS. Look into to Baby led Solids AKA Baby led weaning. There is a book and a website.
    The only Pureesh things my baby ever ate were apple sauce and yogurt. And He didn't eat applesauce until he started unsing utensils around 14 months. And Yogurt we let him dip his toast crust in. That was how he got to be in control of it. This approach compliments EBF very nicely because it allows the child to continue to self regulate.

Way too lazy for formula

I completely agree with the other posters. This is nothing to worry about. And if baby hates the spoon...ditch it. Here's my favorite article about baby led solids.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

thanks for all the input ... i have done some reading on the baby led solids and he does nibble on puffed rice every morning while i'm getting breakfast together. and some do make it into his mouth and stay there. i always feel better when i post a concern on this forum. thanks ladies.