Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Baby not feeding long enough...help!!!

Default Baby not feeding long enough...help!!!

Hi, my DD is 3.5months right now and for the past few weeks she has not been feeding long enough during the day resulting in marathon feeding sessions at night. She used to sleep at least 6-7 hrs for the first part of the night but lately she is up every 2hrs to feed. Friends say it is a growth spurt...but there are other issues. Her stools are yellow at night, but green during the day which is how I know she is not nursing long enough during the day. Also I just weighed her and she doesn't seem to be putting on weight very well. She was 8lbs12oz at birth and now weighs only 12lbs12oz, which means that since her 2mos check-up she has barely put on 4oz per week. This is also really affecting her ability to nap. She often wakes up from naps hungry and then won't go back to sleep. I fear that my DD is becoming overtired, which is making this situation even worse. When I feed her during the day she will guzzle for 5-10min max and then pull off. I try to continue offering her the same breast or the second breast, but she just turns her head away. Any suggestions on how I can get her to nurse longer during the day? http://forums.llli.org/images/smilies/confused.gif

Default Re: Baby not feeding long enough...help!!!

Hmm ... I don't know if this is helpful or not, but my DD2 is 4 months old and that sounds just like her, and I just thought it was all pretty normal. Except maybe the green poops - but someone more knowledgeable can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't know if green poops in themselves are a cause for worry. My LO is 12.5 lbs and weighed 9 lbs at birth, and I think some babies are just slower gainers than "average" or "normal."

Hope someone else chimes in soon!

my lo is 9 months now and he still nurses all night long. the change in sleep patterns is quite normal. all my parent friends say that once you get used to something it changes. my lo has always been a good eater and even when he was younger he'd only ever be at the breast for 5 maybe 10 min max. but he did eat quite often. maybe try offering the breast more often for a few days and see how she does at night. my midwives always encouraged us to "get back in bed for a day" and just nurse that baby to see if that gets your back on track. I don't know anything about the difference in poop color but if you are concerned a quick ring to your pediatrician maybe?

good luck you are doing great!

Hi Mama! I've been thinking about your post for the last couple of days... I think a lot of what you are experiencing is a normal change. My DD went through the same things. Even at 9 months, she often nurses before and after naps! I think some of it is hunger and some of it is comfort We also went through a period of time where her first poop of they day was yellow and normal and the rest of the day time ones were green and I totally freaked out. I thought allergies, Hindmilk/foremilk imbalance, dairy intolerance - everything! But it eventually just worked itself out. DD also took short naps (starting around 3 months and up until just recently) like around 35 minutes, an hour if I was LUCKY. Is your DD working on anything, like rolling over or any other developmental markers? That may be a reason, in addition to a growth spurt, that she is not sleeping like a rock anymore She may also be lengthening, but not increasing her weight, which means she is still growing, but putting calories elsewhere.

It's pretty impossible to get more milk into your baby in terms of the length of nursing time, but like PP said, you can offer it to her more! I know every 2 hours at night is hard - I do every 3 or so with my 9 month old DD still, so I here ya! She'll get past it and you'll both get a little more sleep. If you are really worried about the green poop, then you could call the doctor and ask them, but unless she is showing signs of discomfort, it might just work itself out!

Is she a generally happy baby? Meeting milestones? How's her diaper output? Those are good indicators that she's getting enough mama milk! You'll get it figured out mama, no worries!

Oh, I should also say that DD nurses for 5-10 mins, both sides, tops! Babies get more efficient as they grow, so she might have just found her stride.