Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Here one day, gone the next

Unhappy Here one day, gone the next

I've been nursing my daughter on demand for a little over 11 months now. She started solids around 9 months and I guess my supply adjusted accordingly. Everything has been fine until now. Last night she didn't seem to swallow as much or as long as usual and went to bed unsatisfied. She nursed once or twice during the night (like always) and this morning my milk wouldn't let down after 20 minutes of sucking...about 10 min. on each breast. I fed her a solid breakfast and when it was time for a mid-morning nursing, it wouldn't let down again.

I could be pregnant, but it's too early to know....so I would think too early for my supply to be affected.?. My period returned about 2 months ago (when she started solids). When it did, I experienced nipple pain like you would not believe! Then I got another period, no nipple pain that time. Now I had the nipple pain again for about a week and no period yet....could it be pregnancy related?

Finally, it just let down, but it was very little and again she was not satisfied.

As far as I know, nothing has changed with my diet or hydration. That's why I'm thinking pregnancy.

I am feeling an overwhelming sense of not adequately providing for her right now and I think the guilt makes everything worse!! I've tried taking a few deep breaths and forgetting about it.

My initial goal was to nurse until her first birthday. It's been so wonderful for us that I've concluded that I would breastfeed for an extended period of time....and now this. If it is pregnancy related, will the supply come back? If it isn't, what's going on? Sorry so long!
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Default Re: Here one day, gone the next

Oh boy, sounds like you have lots going on!

So, yes, it could be pregnancy related. That would be the first thing to check off your list.

How much solid food is she eating? Any chance your supply is adjusting more due to her nursing less? Is she nursing a lot less that before?

Some moms do find that they don't feel a let-down after nursing for a period of time. That is normal.

But you think you can tell she is dissatisfied? How does she act? Could it be anything else? Teething?

I can tell that you wanted BF to go on for longer than this, and maybe even longer than a year. That is wonderful, and I am here to tell you that it is possible. It is important to remember that BF is more than BM. If she will continue to nurse, you can continue to nurse her. If you are preg. and your supply is down, you can keep supplementing with more solids and she can still nurse as much as she is willing. Some babies will nurse through a pregnancy even when supply goes down.

I will be anxious to hear back from you. Hang in there!

I'm pregnant!!!!

I am only about 5 weeks along and my milk has diminished so much already. The let down is happening a little closer to normal with regards to time and sensation.

I plan to continue nursing through the pregnancy, as long as my daughter is happy with it!

I'm so excited!!!!
    Last edited by NolaMomma; November 21st, 2006 at 03:26 PM.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

Congratulations!!

Have you checked out our nursing through pregnancy and tandem nursing boards? I'm sure you will find the mamas over there to be a great source of information and support for you.

An awesome book I would recommend to you is Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hillary Flower. It is available throught the LLL online catalog.

And check out these links:

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBpregnancy.html
    -LLL faq's and mother's stories on nursing through pregnancy

http://www.llli.org/NB/NBtandem.html
    -LLL's faq's and mother's stories on tandem nursing

http://nursingtwo.kellymom.com/index.html
    -a non-LLL resource. It is Hillary Flower's website

I would ditto what Kate has said. Breastfeeding is so much more than food. If nursing is still important to you and your daughter, there is a good chance that you will be able to maintain your breastfeeding relationship throughout your pregnancy and that you will be tandem nursing soon.

Again, Congratulations!

Tiana

Bingo!!

Congratulations!

It sounds like you have a good handle on things at this point. Please let us know if you need further information/support.

You might also look into attending local LLL meetings. You would be amazed at the number of moms who have BTDT. It would surely be nice to speak with someone who has tandem nursed.

Good luck to you!