Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: help! about to give up...

Default help! about to give up...

My son will be 4 weeks on Wednesday and we have had problems breastfeeding from the start. He was 9lb 8oz at birth and as of his weight check last week, he has not gotten back up to his birth weight (he was 9lb 5oz). I was on lots of fluids prior to delivery. Was in labor for 28 hours, ending in a C-Section. Was not able to get baby to breast until 1.5 hours after he was born. During first feeding, nurses put a nipple shield on and he was set. After getting out of the hospital, continued to have problems with latching and saw a lactation consultant. She was able to correct his nipple confusion, but he still hurts when he latches on. It has been so painful and we have had such a hard time. I have been all for breastfeeding, but I'm having a hard time believing this is the best for him now. After talking with the pediatrician last week, we decided to pump and feed him, which was very difficult and frustrating. He has been supplemented with breastmilk and formula since the beginning, I am on fenugreek, blessed thistle and domperidon to stimulate milk production. On a normal pumping, I can get less than 2 oz. At this point I feel like I cannot provide the nessesary things for him and my husband says that we should go to formula, but I am not convinced that is the best course of action. I have been in tears over this and I just do not know what to do.

Default Re: help! about to give up...

You are right, formula is not the best option. Hugs mama, you can do this! Some more info...what was baby's lowest weight? We need to measure weight gain from lowest weight not birth weight. Also why pump? That's advice from a pedi who has no clue about BF, IMHO. Put baby to breast as much as possible, at minimum 12 times per day. Also what is baby's diaper output like? Are you still using the shield ?
    Mommy to Maxwell 10-9-07 weaned with love (a party and a remote control monster truck) on his 4th birthday
    My Boy 3-16-10
    And my sweet pea Sam 2-12-11

Watch Your Language

Well congrats on your baby boy. And what determination you have! Are you still using the nipple shield? Stress can be bad for milk production, so try and relax Mama. You are doing great. Nursing is the best way to increase your supply. So nurse whenever possible. As for the painful latch, what nursing positions are you trying? Have you tried laid back nursing? Laying on your back and putting him on top of the breast? Has he been checked for tounge, or lip ties? Make sure you are eating and drinking well. I heard eating oatmeal is good for milk production too. How often are you pumping? Supplementing with formula is also bad for your supply, how much and when are you supplementing? Also what kind of pump do you have?
    09-28-2011 VB (41 Weeks 1 Day) Breastfeeding 12 months & counting.

we are off the shield. he got as low as 8lb 7oz (loss of 1lb 1oz). went to pumping due to pain, i couldnt replicate the way the lactation consultant showed me to latch him on, it just doesnt work with less than three hands and my husband has gone back to work. I decided to pump because me and baby were getting so frustrated at every feeding and I was so sore. he likes to chew on my nipple during the feeding and i cant get the nipple into his mouth far enough.

we do the football hold, i drink lots of water (about 16 oz at every feeding). right now i'm pumping at every feeding and i pump after the milk is gone to help the supply but i end up needing to supplement formula at every feeding.

Try using the nipple shield again. Nursing is the best way to increase your supply. Babies can get more out than any pump can. So he has gained nearly a pound. That is good.

Try different holds and positions. Side laying is one of my fav nursing positions. Position is just as important as the latch is.

How do you determine that you need supplement after every feeding?

Way too lazy for formula

Have you been to a Le Lache League meeting? Or contacted a leader in your area? They are very helpful and most don't mind if you call in the middle of the night crying! They have lots of experience.

we are feeding him 2-3 oz every 3 hours (when he is hungry) and 4 oz during night time feedings because he sleeps 5 hours (and i hate to wake a sleeping baby to feed him. this way he isnt 'missing' a feeding) i am pumping less than 2 oz every 3 hours