Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pushes away/cries

Default Pushes away/cries

Lately my 5 week old LO started getting really fussy during feedings. He'll latch then push away and cry. He'll do this a few times, get agitated, but eventually calm down and latch for a full feeding. But it's a battle every time. I don't think it's an issue with the milk or reflux because he doesn't act like that when my husband bottle feeds him pumped breast milk. I also don't think it's a letdown issue because he'll unlatch and cry before the letdown, during the letdown, and after the letdown. Could there be some other reason for this behavior? Sometimes I think he's just being stubborn, learning the use of his arms, or overexcited and can't maintain the latch.

(I use a nipple shield and he gets two bottles a day of breastmilk with supplement and/or vitamins because he's a preemie.)

Default Re: Pushes away/cries

Since you use bottles regularly I'm going to guess that it's probably because he has to work a bit harder to get milk from your breast than he does to get it from a bottle. Since it drips from the bottle with no effort on baby's part and they have to actually suckle to get milk flowing from your breast.

Have you noticed whether you have a particularly strong letdown? It could also be once the letdown happens it's taking him by surprise and spraying more forcefully than he's used to from the bottle.

Normally I'd say try to move away from the bottles to eliminate the confusion, but it sounds like in your case it is necessary at the moment. And ultimately I wouldn't say it's a problem unless he starts refusing the breast altogether. It sounds like once he gets past his initial frustration he does fine. But something you could do that might help is to try expressing a bit of milk so that it is on your nipple and flowing a little before you latch him on- so he can taste it and knows it's there. If you think you might have a forceful letdown you could nurse him leaning back or even let that first letdown spray into a washcloth (or catch it in a bottle since you are supplementing).
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh sorry, somehow I totally missed that you are using a nipple shield. In that case maybe you could try rubbing milk on the outside of it.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely give them a try. I can see how the overall experience is different from the bottle and why he would complain. Does anyone have a similar experience and can give me hope that sticking it through will eventually get him to enjoy the boob again?