Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low supply at night and fussy

Default Low supply at night and fussy

So it seems at evening time my supply drop a lot. My LO doesnt seem satisfied and fights me. She jerks around and pops off alot. I try to hold her head still and she gets more upset. I swear she isnt getting much because i dont feel full even if its been a few hours. I also dont hear her swallowing. Because of her fussiness and constantly pulling off my nipple hurts again. I end up in tears and i give her a bottle of BM. I dont lnow what is wrong. It isnt every night but tonight it was last two feeds. Please help me.

Default Re: Low supply at night and fussy

I forgot to say she is 2 months old

Hi Mama!! This sounds pretty normal to me. Most babies start to cluster feed in the evening, popping on and off, nursing for a few minutes, then stopping and getting all fussy. There will be many, many of us that can testify to this. It still sometimes happens with my 9 month old! Here is a article I found helpful when this started happening to me and my DD:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/parent...fussy-evening/

You can try to nurse her in a quiet and darkened room to try and calm her down a bit. I know it's hard in the evenings because it's dinner time and with the constant popping on and off, it might be a pain to bring her in another room. You could just try turning the light off and the TV off. For your sore nipples, I always recommend Lanolin, it really helps me heal quickly. I wouldn't give her a bottle, only because your body is missing cues that YOU need to make more milk - supply and demand! Cluster feedings really work your supply and tell your body to make more ASAP.

It sounds like this whole thing has taken you off guard and so you are trying to force her to stay on! But I wouldn't force her, just let her get what she needs at the moment, put her down to relax and then try picking her up again in a little while. Walk around with her, take her for a little fresh air, etc, then go back if she's still fussy.

I'm sure other moms will join in with more advice! You are doing great Try to relax and know that this is all part of the process and you'll find your groove!

It sounds as if you are very in tune with your baby and your body. This is really great and will help you be on top of any issues that may come up.

I have a few questions that you can answer if you like- Has weight gain been normal up to this point? Healthy baby overall? Baby exclusively breastfed up to now or are you 'combo' feeding? And how often-how many times a day- is baby nursing? Any long sleep periods? Have you started any medications-birth control? Did baby have her two month shots recently or showing any signs of illness?

As pp suggests, this could all be normal or at least unrelated to milk production. The only thing that reallly concerns me is your nipples feeling sore. Is this new-has breastfeeding been comfortable up to this point?

Lots of moms feel as if they have low production at around this age.
    It sounds like you are concerned about your milk production due to how you feel as well as your baby’s behavior. This is a common concern and usually is nothing to worry about. In general it is normal at this age mom to stop feeling 'full." But the answers to the above questions may tell us more.

There is no reason to supplement with a bottle unless baby is really not getting enough milk overall. And fussiness and short feedings on their own could be caused by many things and are rarely a reason for supplements.
    If supplementing was benign it would not matter. But unfortunately supplementing with bottles-even bottles of expressed breast milk-can cause problems, so even when it is needed (because baby is not gaining well, for example,) it has to be done with some care. If they are not needed, best in general to avoid bottles.

Weight gain has been amazing she was 7 10 at birth and now she is about 12 6. She is a healthy baby and happy baby overall. I guess you could say we combo feed because she gets formula on the weekends when i work but during the week we breastfeed exclusively. She nurses every two to three hours during the day. She will go 4 to 6 hours without nursing at night. This is usually the period right after i first put her to sleep. After that she will wake up about every two hours.
    I did start birth control pills a few weeks ago. My obgyn put me on microgestin 1/20. She did mention supply lowering with the pill and that is why she put me on a lower pill than usual. I only notice it lower at evening because during the day i can feel them fill up. My LO is going to the doctor Monday for her two month shots. Her poops seem normal to me.
    My nipple pain is nothing new as you can see in my other posts. We are in the process of working on her latch because that is what is causing the pain but only on one side. I use lanolin and it does bring some relief. It is difficult to get her to latch properly when she keeps popping on and off. During the day her latch is okay.
    I sometimes give her a bottle of EBM in the evening if pain gets too much or if she fusses too much and seems really upset. We do feed in a low lit room that has no tv. We close the blinds as well even though it is dark. Last night i could tell my supply was low because she was not even swallowing. I deal with it as long as i know she is getting some milk. She does go fine between bottle and breast but i try not to give her alot of bottles if i am home and available to feed.

Well that sounds to me as if your production is probably normal, which would mean, enough, and this popping on and off may be due to some aspect of 'bottle confusion' or 'flow confusion' that impacts nursing behavior for some babies after introduction of bottles. it makes sense it would be worse in the evenings because many mothers do experience a temporary, normal drop off of production in the evenings, so baby may have to 'work' a little harder in the evenings for the milk.

Allowing/encouraging baby to nurse even if baby is fussing or popping off is typically the recommendation for this kind of evening fussiness at feedings. But I understand this is problematic for you due to latch pain. What about nursing only on the non-painful side when this is going on? If you do supplement baby with a bottle of expressed milk in the evening, you may need to pump in the evening as well because the supplementing will cause a decrease in milk production.

The only red flags I see for poor production are 1) baby being fed formula on weekends. Are you pumping while away from baby? If not, not pumping when away from baby through a feeding(s) will decrease milk production. 2) the mini pill. While typically, progesterone only bc is not a risk to production as progesterone and estrogen combo bc certainly is, some moms do report that even the minipill harms production.

A poor latch can also cause poor milk transfer which, overtime, will impact production as well. Babies weight gain indicates transfer is fine, but sine baby is bottle fed formula part of the time, the weight gain is not as reliable a measure of good milk production as it normally would be. It depends how much, overall, formula baby is getting.

I do pump on the weekends, twice in my 8 hour shift. She definately gets enough milk. I try so hard to get her to latch properly but she seems to just want the nipple which is seeming to cause ALOT of pain on the one side. On the good side all i feel is a tiny bit of pain and tugging. I have worked with an LC and we had a good latch while there. As soon as i tried at home it did not go so well. I get a good latch once in awhile. I hate to deal with this pain for atleast another month but my LO is worth it. I hate to pump that side because of the pain because i tried that a week ago. The pain got hetter but i did notice a slight decrease in my supply on that side.