Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cannot get rid of the last pumping session, help!!!

Default Cannot get rid of the last pumping session, help!!!

My daughter is 13+ months old and I'd like to stop pumping while at work. She eats solids well and we nurse whenever we are together (weekends and co-sleep at night).
    However, I haven't been able to drop that last pumping session for 3 weeks now. I try to gradually push the time I pump later and later in the day, and by Friday it seems like I can be pump free (I get it down to 4:30 pm or so). Then I get to work on Monday after a weekend of unlimited nursing and I'm bursting with milk by 2pm. I've had lots of plugged ducts before, so I'm afraid to let my breasts get too engorged.

This has been going on for a few weeks now and I'm frustrated: I've been hoping to "hang up the horns" a month ago.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Default Re: Cannot get rid of the last pumping session, help!!!

Hmmm. BUrsting like Leaking through your clothes at work? Or just enough to notice? Because I appreciate not wanting clogged ducts....but if it's not actually leaking out of your boobs, I wonder if you want to roll the dice today? It could just be the one day experiment....don't pumpt at 2pm. What time do you see the baby?

Way too lazy for formula

If it's not too painful/uncomfortable you could just try not pumping. Or if you can hand express, just do enough to give yourself a bit of relief.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

3pm now... it's getting full in here. I'm going to try and hold out some more...

What if you try just pumping a little bit, reducing the time you pump?
    Proud mom of 2:
    DD 5/2008 nursed for 3 years and 3 months.
    DS born 8/2011 nursing like a champ

Sorry for the short responses...always, always, always NAK or holding a baby

OK so I missed my pumping slot and now won't be able to pump until I get home (in 2 hours). Let's hope my boobs will hold.

Have they leaked yet?

Way too lazy for formula

Good luck!!

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.

I made it home (engorged like I've got a newborn), but no issues. My daughter seemed a little surprised by the amount of milk I had for her, but happily emptied both of my boobs in no time.

Going to try to do the same thing today.

Unexpectedly, I felt a little sad though... for months now I've imagined how excited I'm going to feel when I'm finally free from the pump and instead I just felt a little... nostalgic and sad. It feels strange stopping something that I've put so much effort into.

Glad it worked for you!

That feeling passes. Quickly.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous