Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Think I have thrush

Default Think I have thrush

So, I've read through the symptoms, but I'm still uncertain about whether I might have thrush. Last night noticed pain in my right breast, sort of under the nipple. It had a bit of a shooting sensation, although it wasn't overly painful. I haven't had any of the other things that the articles say are precursors--vaginal yeast infection, etc. There is a small red mark next to the nipple. I haven't noticed whether she has any white spots in her mouth. She hasn't refused to nurse, but some feedings have been shorter than normal. Mostly, I thought this was because

So if it's thrush, whom do I call? Her pediatrician? My GP? My GYN? Do I use over the counter stuff for a while to see if that helps?

Default Re: Think I have thrush

If it's thrush both you and baby need to be treated simultaneously. Otherwise, if you treat yourself but LO is not treated, LO will re-infect you. So you'll need to call pediatrician and either GP or GYN (I've been treated by gyn in the past but GP should be able to handle it too).

I think this is a great resource for moms fighting thrush. In my experience the treatments given to me by the pediatrician (who didn't want to treat me) and my doc (who didn't want to treat the baby) were not as effective as over the counter treatment I did myself for both of us.

That said, it doesn't actually sound like thrush to me. Or if it is, it's very mild and often that will resolve itself with no treatment. Thrush pain is generally described as a burning or itching or prickly pain right on the very tip of your nipple (usually it will happen or get worse when your nipple gets wet- either from leaking, nursing, or in the shower). With shooting pains deep inside in a few cases where it has gotten bad enough that it's gone up into your ductal tissue. When I had it, the tips of my nipples turned bright pink. You can also look in baby's mouth for a white coating on tongue or gums- if you can't wipe it off gently with a cloth it's thrush.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Hmmm...I'm wondering if maybe I got the suction too strong on my pump yesterday. I will check her mouth tonight and see how it looks.

Here's another good article about figuring out whether you have thrush.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

with Still.here. I'm thinking this could be a blister, or maybe even a small puncture wound if your LO happens to be teething.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Lilmomma, Oh yes, teething is definitely going on. We have two on the bottom and we're getting at least one on the top.

Also, I'm wondering, if it were thrush would it be in both breasts? I would think that with her going back and forth between breasts, that it would spread to both sides, instead of just to one.

You might not necessarily feel the symptoms the same on both sides, but you would want to treat both sides just in case.
    --Anonymous

Yeah, usually thrush is excruciatingly painful. I'm definitely not hearing that from your post, so I'd be wondering if it might be something else. Some of the OTC/home treatments, like probiotics for you and baby, are harmless and might help if it's a mild case of thrush.

You can call me JoMo!

Mom to baby boy Joe, born 5/4/09 and breastfed for more than two and a half years, and baby girl Maggie, born 7/9/12.