Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 12.5 months - biting and refusing

Default 12.5 months - biting and refusing

My baby has been breastfed with little problems for just over a year. She loves her food and eats heaps of solids. I went back to work when she was 7 months old and expressed 4 times a day - which she took in a sippy cup. All up she was having 7 feeds a day. Then this slowly decreased as she got bigger and started wanting food off my plate. She is down to two breastfeeds a day (morning and night) and has 3 meals and 3 snacks a day in solid food. This was working well for us for the past 2 weeks.

Last night when I went to nurse her as usual (after her bath and before her story) she bit me - hard - twice on one side. She didn't latch at all and in fact she pushed the nipple out with her tongue and then bit it. There was no crying or fussing, she just simply bit me and then stared at me.

I moved her to the other side and she bit me again. Hubby then took her out of the room for a few minutes and then brought her back in and she bit me a fourth time. Again no latching or sucking at all.

Hubby read her a story and put her to bed with little dramas.

This morning I woke her up as usual before I went to work. She again, refused to latch and bit me again. A repeat of last night. No crying, no latch, no suck (or even attempt), just an immediate biting.

Tonight I offered her the breast and she pushed it away with her hand - didn't even open her mouth. When I offered it a second time she started screaming and pushing it away (pushing things away is her way of saying no - she does it to water, food etc)

Could this just be teething? I have seen some signs of teething over the past week (she already has 8 teeth) but she has never refused like this before.

Default Re: 12.5 months - biting and refusing

This could definitely be teething. Or it could be a nursing strike. Either way, the tips in this link should help: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Sorry about the bites! That sounds rotten.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: 12.5 months - biting and refusing

The worst bit is, she doesn't seem to miss it a bit. She is not unsettled - she just woke up after sleeping 11 hours, she is happily playing right now and doesn't seem the least bit phased. She ate her solids as per normal yesterday. Again I offered the breast this morning, and again, she didn't fuss or cry - she just pushed the breast away with her hand and tried to sit up. *sigh*

Lots of the advice I have read (including some of the kellymom stuff) seems to be concentrated on newborns, or babies who resist by crying. I am just a little freaked out that she is so calm about the whole thing.